Finding wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyRobz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2007
I need help finding wheels that fit my car. i know now that the corvette wheels will not fit. im trying to find something like a 17in or 18in wheel or maybe 2 front 17's and two rear 18's. im not sure of what width wheel to get or what tires to get so that they fit without rubbing. im also not sure of what offset or backspace to get. thanks for the help

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It all depends on what tire size you wish to run. I run 16x8 in old *ss Enkei wheels with a 4 in backspacing and 245 50 R16 tires and they rub a little up front and not at all out back. I am planning on larger wheels (17 or 18 in) in the future when I can afford them, but for now that's what I have. It also depends on your car, how square the frame is, how square the body sits on the frame, tire brand and model, and what front suspension you run. If you have the popular B body tall spindle/12 in brake swap with aftermarket upper arms, it pushes the wheels out a little bit and changes what fits and with what backspacing. If you plan on this swap, wait until afterwards before you buy wheels. Many large tire shops also have gauges that can hold tires on them to determine what size and backspacing you need. I plan to go to one to get the numbers before I order mine. I am also doing the B body brake swap, so I have to wait until that is done to do it too.

MattyRobz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2007
i plan on getting a set of lowering springs to drop it maybe an inch/inch and a half. i want to make sure they dont rub and fit right.
http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel_detail.asp?subcat3=1011126
these are the wheels im looking to get probably just a set of 17's but if i can make it fit i would like to get the 18's in the back and the 17's up front. would these ones work? what tire size would fit that? im also not sure if the backspace is right for this wheel.

here is a few pic of my car

cut.jpg

cut3.jpg

thanks for the help

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would lower it first and get your suspension set up how you want it before you buy. That way you can take proper measurements and be sure it all works. People do run the Torq Thrust II's on G bodies, so you should be able to order them with the proper backspacing, but there are usually multiple backspacings available for aftermarket wheels and you will need to know which one to use. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I have yet to figure out what to order for my Cutlass as I am not finished with the suspension setup yet.

As for tires, I think a 235 width would work front (MAYBE 245) and a 255 or 265 would probably max out the rear, but you will have to measure it to be sure and to see what series tire to order. Try to keep it pretty close to stock height as this will keep it from affecting your speedometer and VSS reading (If you run a computer)- not to mention taller tires and wheels can make the car look like a 4x4 if you're not careful. You will probably wind up with a 7 or 8 inch wide wheel front and a 8 or 9 inch wide wheel back when it's all said and done, but you have to have it checked to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor