firestone firehawk vs bf goodrich radial t/a

In your opinion,which tire looks better? 235/60/15 firehawk indy 500 or bf goodrich radial t/a?

• Firehawk

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • BF Goodrich

Votes: 22 61.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
Disagree, radial T/A's are excellent in winter, compared to other summer tires. I daily drive my Monte carlo with 225/65/r14 radial T/As on the back, and traction T/A's up front. These radial T/As perform just as good as the Goodyear nordic winter tires I had on last year. They also perform just as well (or better) as the Michelin X-Ice's I tried last year. Performance on sheer ice is bad - but the tires are excellent and predictable on anything other than sheer ice. When I first had my car it had Firestone Indy's on the rear, I was not impressed with their winter handling. They seemed to be like an off-on switch. Good traction, but then all of a sudden when they lost grip there was no grip at all. I found the Radial T/A's to be more gradually slippy. The biggest downside I've found with BFG is their warranty. I've been in a situation where they were unwilling to warranty a tire that was clearly defective. For this reason alone I won't be buying BFG again - I have no beef at all with the tires, though.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
gk666 said:
also i dont know the relevance exactly since no one in my family or anyone i speak to very often has used bfg tas nicely, but iv had nothing but good experiences with regular bfg tires.... just an fyi after doing regular burnouts more often than seldom iv just replaced my bfgs at 75000 miles sooo >.> and all the bfgs we ever had on our cars have all performed the same... even the bfgs on my dads truck have like 65k and my moms jetta got 80k so bfgs are boss
I agreed... Generally, BFGs are a great brand. I have KDWs and G-Forces on my IROC rims now

but I've never had good luck with the T/As... Then again, it's a budget tire, and you get what you pay for.

81CRUISERbrougham

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2010
Duluth,MN
i wonder if the tires on my car are part of that recall? there from 96?

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
81CRUISERbrougham said:
i wonder if the tires on my car are part of that recall? there from 96?

No, that recall was for the Wilderness AT tires issued on the Explorers, Rangers, and half-ton F-150s. Which personally I think was Ford's fault as much as Firestone, but let's not get into that. Besides, the deadline for the Recall was some time in 2000 I think. And for that matter, tires generally have a "shelf life" of about 5-8 years tops (less if they've always been outside in the elements) before they are considered unsafe due to natural deterioration. There's a lot more to how good a tire is than how deep the tread is.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
ive run firehawks on my buick for the past 10 years with no issues

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
I run firehawks on my truck. I have had them on there for 3 years they still got a lot of tread. When these ones ware out I am putting the same back on. When I get the El Camino on the road that's going on it too. Never ran the other brand so I couldn't say anything bad about them.

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
Hard to find quality RWL tires these days, hear good things about mickey thompson's sportman ST's

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
gk666 said:
also i dont know the relevance exactly since no one in my family or anyone i speak to very often has used bfg tas nicely, but iv had nothing but good experiences with regular bfg tires.... just an fyi after doing regular burnouts more often than seldom iv just replaced my bfgs at 75000 miles sooo >.> and all the bfgs we ever had on our cars have all performed the same... even the bfgs on my dads truck have like 65k and my moms jetta got 80k so bfgs are boss
And he didn't say **** once! :rofl:

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
I just say **** when I'm irate... if you ask me what the best tire on the market is I'm gonna say bfg straight up end of story.... you ask me why women suck at driving and why life sucks many ****s will be had

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
well i put it like this: I've driven on both and the firestones are still on the car.

now the truck rode on BFG for a long long time until i got the mickey thompson mtz. the beat my old bfg mt hands down due to siping. but thats a different story. looks like bfg struck out twice for me.

wait no 3 times, we just switched my girlfriends car to Michelin hydro edges from her wore out bfg. the ride better, are better in the rain and come with a 90,000 mile warranty or 6 years whatever comes first. cant beat that. so bfg might be done in my book now. but if they would get there head in the game we might get something good out of them again. (besides the bfg AT longest lasting all terrain tire)

but long story short for these cars i much prefer the firestone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor