First day at the drag strip working out the bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
As others have mentioned, this is quite a different dynamic than facebook. We try to keep the BS to a minimum. But there aren't a ton of threads that are just "hey look at my ride" in nature. This is a pretty technical forum. Of course those "show off" (no disrespect intended) threads are definitely welcome here, you just don't really see as many of them. Maybe consider starting your own build thread to post photos of your ride and track your progress! That is a pretty popular thing to do on the forum, and its a great way for people to read about all aspects of your build! As you can see from the first couple replies, you've got some compliments already.

Also (as you have seen already) there are a lot of passionate drag racers here (myself included). So of course we want to hear about what you did to achieve your current time slip, what plans you have for the future etc. I don't think there was any harm intended here, just people really passionate about all aspects of drag racing. We want to hear all the nitty gritty specs of your ride! :D I believe GP403 is working on a sub forum just for technical discussions on drag racing as well.

I've posted time slips before, and a few others members and I have had friendly banter back and forth about what I could do to improve, or what I've done good (or badly) already. I think that's part of the drag racing bug. Even if I've achieved my best time slip yet, I'm never really happy with it. I don't think anyone here intends to bash you or anyone else, this was just an "inquiring minds want to know" type of deal. Please continue with your regular (and friendly) drag racing talk! :D:banana:

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Agreed. Some of us are more defensive/offensive than others and it's easy to get off on the wrong foot on the internet. Can't always see good intentions through text!
Same thing happened to that "Emmanuel cuellar" kid with the convertible Regal. Luckily he stuck around and made some good progress on his project.

Jim hopper

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2017
Honestly, I'm still confused about the 8.38 being on the windshield if you're running the 1/4 mile instead of the 1/8, but I've only been drag racing twice at a totally different strip.

It's still a nice picture though. Who's V. Hopper? Relative? If so, it's cool that you have them there to take pictures. I have to steal pictures of my own car from facebook groups.
Hey 307 Regal, have you spoken to YOUR track photographer about pics? Most small track photographers are just trying to get by selling a few here and there to the local racers, I know that's how ours is, it's my wife, she didn't start out trying to sell, she just did it for fun until A LOT of drivers started requesting pics from her a few years ago and now she is the official track photographer. She is there from morning til night and tries NOT to leave anyone out, I never get to see her during race season because she's ALWAYS on the fkn computer doing pictures............I know from hearing her horror stories from Facebook pages that there are a LOT of photographers at other drag strips that charge a lot more than she does for pictures that in my opinion suck. I know I may be biased cause shes my wife but I know that she spent hard earned money on the midgrade camera she has and does the best she can with what we've got. Nobody pays her to be there, its her passion Esta POster 2222.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Hey 307 Regal, have you spoken to YOUR track photographer about pics? Most small track photographers are just trying to get by selling a few here and there to the local racers, I know that's how ours is, it's my wife, she didn't start out trying to sell, she just did it for fun until A LOT of drivers started requesting pics from her a few years ago and now she is the official track photographer. She is there from morning til night and tries NOT to leave anyone out, I never get to see her during race season because she's ALWAYS on the fkn computer doing pictures............I know from hearing her horror stories from Facebook pages that there are a LOT of photographers at other drag strips that charge a lot more than she does for pictures that in my opinion suck. I know I may be biased cause shes my wife but I know that she spent hard earned money on the midgrade camera she has and does the best she can with what we've got. Nobody pays her to be there, its her passion View attachment 80329

I usually get them off of my region's SCCA page, but I was able to contact one of the photographers once and purchased 5 high resolution picture files for about 50 bucks.
_DSC4399.JPG _DSC4400.JPG _DSC5298.JPG
If I'm honest, I'm pretty cash-poor and shouldn't even be racing, but I need it for my sanity. These pics were just too good (to me) to pass up getting the full-size versions of.
We usually never have the same shooter, and sometimes whole groups of cars get missed because of our work/race rotation.

I noticed the skeleton on your Monte has a camera. Is that for your wife? If so, I like that!

Jim hopper

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2017
I usually get them off of my region's SCCA page, but I was able to contact one of the photographers once and purchased 5 high resolution picture files for about 50 bucks.
View attachment 80330 View attachment 80331 View attachment 80332
If I'm honest, I'm pretty cash-poor and shouldn't even be racing, but I need it for my sanity. These pics were just too good (to me) to pass up getting the full-size versions of.
We usually never have the same shooter, and sometimes whole groups of cars get missed because of our work/race rotation.

I noticed the skeleton on your Monte has a camera. Is that for your wife? If so, I like that!
Yes it is!! She had asked the painter if he could put her logo somewhere on the car in a small spot and thats what he came up with. Showed wife your pics, very cool!! We are pretty cash-poor too so I feel ya

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Your wife takes great photos!

Like most people with a G-body, I'm not made of money (even my kid has finally realized this) so we are trying to do the most with as little cash outlay as possible.

Because data is basically free with a time slip, analyzing this data can help reduce the costs associated with going faster:

My Timeslip page

I took my T-type from high 14's to mid 11's by analyzing what made the car go faster and what didn't make the car go faster each time I went to the track (rather than listen what the crowd of people telling me to "buy this part" or "buy that part" were saying.

People would tell me to buy something the data didn't support buying. People told me for years not to switch to taller tire, but when I did I picked up 4 mph. The data was telling me to switch to a taller tire, but I listed to the crowd and not the data (now 20 years later almost everyone says to "switch to a taller tire").

Jim hopper

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2017
The wife seaid thanks and as soon as I feel better I'm gowing out to the garage to see how tall my Mickey Thompson drag radials are and that's amazing how fast u got the car to go

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
The typical switch over point from 26" to 28" it about 110 mph or so. I ran a 12 flat with 26" drag radials and went to 28" tires next run and ran 11.7 no other changes.

rancher

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2017
Blackduck, MN
I dont no how me posting a pic of my first day at the track ternd into a b*tch fest about my car and time it ran I dident ask for any help in how to figure out how to make my car faster I will do that my self I'm sorry I don't remember every detail like tire size cam specks or anything elts I just thout I would shar my day out but some pepal have to play the now it all game I have the flu so I'm sorry I can't remember all the details right now
right on, i can't believe there are so many armchair quarterbacks out there. keep on having fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor