first engine swap 305 chevy to 350 olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
Hi. I've never done a swap before, so this will be a slow project. I just have a couple questions to get me going.

my car is an 83 cutlass supreme built for the canadian market with a chevy 305 from the factory. It is currently stock. I just picked up an olds 350 motor from a 72 cutlass with a t350 olds transmission. it has the torque converter, exhaust manifolds, mounts, and a water pump attached to it, but not much else. my questions for now are:

will the manifolds bolt up to my existing Y-pipe? if not, am I better off trying to add a set of headers and run a dual custom exhaust, or will that require even more modifications?

can I use the mechanical fan from my 305?
can I use my existing alternator?
will my driveshaft be the proper length?

is there anything else major that I will run into problems with? I am aware that I will have to re-route some of the fuel lines, electrical, and vacuum hoses, but I won't really know until I get a chance to start messing with it. I want to keep my car driveable for as long as possible while I source all my parts, and then do the swap over a weekend or two.

thanks for any help or advice.
-Malcolm

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The down pipes are different, get Hedman or Sanderson headers and custom dual exhaust. The alternator and drive shaft should work. The fan will be drilled for a different pattern.

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
sounds like I will be going with headers and a dual exhaust from day one then.

I will likely also install a flexilite e-fan setup with the adjustable controller. just wish I had a temperature guage so I could monitor it.

am I going to run into any computer/electrical issues going from an 83 to a 72 motor? how much of my 83 is computer controlled?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
None on most Canadian cars. There should be a vacuum switch set up, if you want to run a lock up converter in the future.

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
ok. thanks for the help to get me started. I'm going to start sourcing my parts, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
So I have started sourcing parts and have decided to go with an edelbrock performer rpm intake part# 7111 and a holley 4160 carb part# 0-80457sa. The setup looks slightly taller than stock. Will this setup fit under the hood with the air cleaner attached?

Also looking at headman headers part# 58190 for a 72 cutlass supreme w/350. Will these fit in the Gbody with proper clearances? I can get them for a reasonable price from my local parts store (i'm in Canada) as a special order, but I won't be able to return them if they don't fit right. What headers have you guys used in your Olds 350 swaps?

worldwide

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2014
I have the motor stripped down to the block. it has stock dish pistons. would it be worth the time and effort to swap the pistons out for flat tops? am I better off putting the money into different heads or a good port and polish?

also, the engine has a mechanical oil pump that works off of the cam inside the timing cover area. it has hoses to go to an oil cooler in the rad, but I don't see any oil lines going in to the rad in the 305 car. what should I do with these?

it looks like at the very least I will be doing the head gaskets, oil pan gasket, timing chain, cover gasket, and seals. as well as the new intake manifold, carb and the dual exhaust. is there anything else I should seriously consider while I'm in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor