first street race

Status
Not open for further replies.
eocoolj said:
You're opinion is absolutely dead wrong. This is not an "opinion" issue. You have to look at facts. Many people who get in my car ('79 Monte) comment on how its built "like a tank" and how I have no need to worry in an accident. These people do not realize how poor the impact standards on these old cars are. Things like crumple zones, airbags, and anti-lock brakes did not exist, and cars of 30, 40, or 50 years ago were in fact MUCH MUCH less safe than the "plastic new-age POS" cars you see on the road today.

Hey eocoolj, thanks for posting up the video. I agree with your points. But I wouldn't classify a 2009 Malibu as a plastic POS. It's body is listed as fully galvanized steel, rather than plastic/composite.

I don't know, I'll still take my Cutlass against my wife's 20+ year newer Saturn....Not sure why they have a smaller box sticking out for the Saturn test....maybe to help cushion the blow a little? I would say they look pretty close to the same. Did you know Saturn's have plastic gas tanks? (At least the one I looked at).

[youtube]CSqv0yXOnU0[/youtube]

[youtube]ci2hyLuRiBc[/youtube]

Has anyone seen a Smart Car crash test? Yikes!

Take my comments for what it’s worth. I’m almost 60 now and spent a lot of years back in the late 60’s thru the 80s street racing in a lot of places all over the country. Yeah, I know all about the rush, bragging rights and if you’re into it seriously the few bucks you can make to put back in the car …..I’ve also been around it long enough to know the down side, the accidents.

Things happen really fast on the street…….. if you have driven any amount of time you’ve been in a situation there something unexpected has happened and you’ve done a panic stop. It can and does happen just as well while your street racing and I have personally seen the results. I’ve also had a customer some years ago that have lost her only child because the kid was inexperienced and in a car he wasn’t capable of handling (even if you are capable…..is the guy next to you?)

I’m not going to be a hypocrite and tell anyone not to do it, just pick the time and circumstances. I have a few personal rules….pick a place that minimizes any other traffic and especially pedestrians. NEVER after even 1 drink. No passengers. Always have the car in suitable shape….especially brakes and tires.

Yes I still have and build cars capable of holding their own……I just don’t feel like I have much to prove to anyone anymore.

OK let me clear something up.it's not street racing like you see on TV or some of these videos on you tube.it was just a honest race on a open street maybe from 10 mph to 45 50.just a quick blast along side a above stock 71 camaro.i do everything with my son and i make the car as safe as possible.my son loves the car and he is along side me every step of the way.i'm almost 40 and i'm not some young dumb kid that is taking chances with someone else's life.i was a great thrill for me and my son. 😀

I should probably elaborate on my quoting shotgun's/whitey's posts. I wouldn't do it even that much just because I'm a paranoid dad. My son is almost 5 and he loves it when I gas it in the Malibu, but it's literally only for a second or so, barely any time to accelerate, but for that second or so when he's planted in the seat, he loves it, just as I'm sure your son does.

Yeah... that's why I explained my earlier post... when I first saw your son was in there my mind immediately went to "douchenozzle!" :lol:

krazykyle said:
OK let me clear something up.it's not street racing like you see on TV or some of these videos on you tube.it was just a honest race on a open street maybe from 10 mph to 45 50.just a quick blast along side a above stock 71 camaro.i do everything with my son and i make the car as safe as possible.my son loves the car and he is along side me every step of the way.i'm almost 40 and i'm not some young dumb kid that is taking chances with someone else's life.i was a great thrill for me and my son. 😀

Hmm, so I was right! Looks like some ppl have some apologizing to do.....not like that will happen :rofl:

I'll say it again, "Nice kill"!

first off the video of the bel airs crashing, look at the fender on the old car.... i call bs

second, good kill. what is your car?

well i think it all goes back to no car is really safe depending on the crash, if its bad enough your screwed either way, but yeah some light to light street racing never hurts unless you get caught and ticketed, for all these people that should say he should ****ing die and sh*t for doing it with his kid in the car wtf? seriously? why the hell would you tell someone to go die? i dont care who you are i bet you everyone on this post has street raced there car

355 chevy ati 3800 stall 4.56 posi msd 6a box,distributor#8460 blaster 2 coil msd 8.8 black wires autometer gauges oil,water temp,fuel with isolator autometer tach with shift light worked 750 holley dp,holley regulator & holley blue series fuel pump fram canister fuel filter rci 16 gallon fuel cell with sending unit 1/2 alum line with #8 braided lones,earl's & aeroquipe edelbrock old style torker intake block paralell decked & line bore .30 over manley 10.5:1 flat top pistons,steel crank.pink rods assembly balanced to 8000 rpms canton 7 qt deep oil pan moroso high volume oil pump reed hydraulic camshaft special grind rhoads high intensity lifters crane roller rockers rare #441 casting heads off record holding stocker manley stainless valves 3 angle valve job,screw in studs cyclone headers s/s locking bolts sfi certified fly wheel ati tree master 10 inch 3800 stall fresh turbo 350 with turbo action cheetah series manual valve body new drive shaft incl yoke tube & u joint 67 chevelle wagon 10 bolt 8.2 ring gear 4.56 new carrier and axle bearings all spring and clutches long wheel studs center line drag 15x8.5 m/t l 60 t bone tires and 15x3 m/t front runners along with hurst pro matic 2 shifter mid 12's also i went with umi proformance rear end kit to center up the rear end all in my 83 cutlass :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor