First Time Drag Racing Today (vin Y 307) (Now w/pics))

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Re: First Time Drag Racing Today (vin Y 307)

dan2286 said:
Just a tip. If you are using street tires, don't do a long burnout. Just do it long enough to clean any crap off the tires and try to avoid the waterbox. Street tires loose traction when they get hot.

Good to know. I was going to try avoiding the box all together but unfortunately I couldn't really drive around it too well..

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
hey, just ran into this thread!
I gotta tell ya, you'd make a good bracket racer! Very consistent times, and you had great reaction times as well. Good work!

my first time racing, I couldn't get my GP to quicker than mid 14s... and was in the 15s most the day. Reaction times/ETs/MPHs were all over the place, haha

lost to pretty much everyone there, but man it was fun!

and that's what it's all about! Keep it up, and get into a elimination event, I bet you'd do well.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
307 Regal, The T type package makes that a nice regal and the 87 is often said to be the best looking. Light good looking 15x7 wheels, quicker ratio steering box, stiffer springs and the bigger front sway bar plus rear sway bar make it much better than a standard regal or gbody. Ditto on regular radial tires. Long burnouts often make them greasy. Don't put money into performance parts for that 307 as their is little bang for the buck in it. Just run it while you build something else. If maintained and not abused the 307 usually lasts over 200,000 miles though. Do look at your suspension end links as they often have missing or mushy worn out rubber. Good polyurethane end links are cheap and easy to replace for an often noticeable cornering or handling improvement.

On your transmission you might at least add a good shift kit like the ones that http://www.ckperformance.com sells. I bought one from them for $100 on a special. Firm quick upshifts even at part throttle but not harsh like some. Cheap B&M etc kits won't work well on this trans. It might be good for a tenth but mostly it will help your transmission live. Nobody wants to do a rebuild before its time. http://www.extremeautomatics.com built two 200-4Rs for me one in my GN after 125,000 hard miles and one for my 575 foot pound of torque 509 powered 442. Both have held up well. FYI here is what Extreme Automatics has to say about the 700-R4.

Q - 2004R or 700R4?

A - I have been asked this question more than any other. Straight answer some will not like. Honestly its not even a fair fight. The 2004R will handle power that far exceeds that of any 700R4 or 4L60 that can be build at any price. 2004R has a better gear ratio spread, better Overdrive ratio, will fit many more applications, Lighter, Stronger I can go on and on. The 700R4 is best left to applications where its the only option such as 4WD or All WD, tow vehicles, Lower HP applications or customers that are more concerned with budget v/s strength and reliability.

To clarify he means built to built transmissions as a 700-R4 is a little stronger than a generic 200-4R. Plus about the same money to rebuilt and no need to have a driveshaft shaft cut to make one work in a your car.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
just saw this thread.

congrats.

itsn ot about the times you run its about the fun you have.

out here on long island (far from a real track) they did these 100 foot drags.

I went a few times. Had a blast every time. Worked on the launch never got the car out of first gear. never really won. had a blast doing it. thats all that mattered

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
Rocket said:
GhettoRacingKid said:
out here on long island (far from a real track) they did these 100 foot drags.

that's different lol

Its actually pretty cool. It goes really fast. Its good practice for the launch.

I got to tinker with air pressure and etc...

no 60ft times but with the math my car is between mid 12s and low 13s currently.

here is a video my gf at the time took

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP45Xjf4rvw

inside the car shot i took with my cell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPDY9L6o8Z0

shot from the gf of the run above
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ZhAMdzIrI

Wile E

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2010
Central WI
Congratulations, Sounds like your hooked...Now.....take out your wallet....look inside.....say "Good-bye" to your cash...
Glad to hear you had a good time.
Good Luck.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
Wile E said:
Congratulations, Sounds like your hooked...Now.....take out your wallet....look inside.....say "Good-bye" to your cash...
Good Luck.

I think alot of people have learned its best not to look at what your spending and jsut nejoy the rode.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Man, this thread really blew up all of a sudden. ha

khan0165 said:
hey, just ran into this thread!
I gotta tell ya, you'd make a good bracket racer! Very consistent times, and you had great reaction times as well. Good work!
Thanks, man. 8) Gotta work on my launches a little but I was shifting pretty well. Never accidentally threw it into third. :lol: Stock shifter works pretty well once you get the hang of it.

dogshit said:
Don't put money into performance parts for that 307 as their is little bang for the buck in it. Just run it while you build something else. If maintained and not abused the 307 usually lasts over 200,000 miles though. Do look at your suspension end links as they often have missing or mushy worn out rubber. Good polyurethane end links are cheap and easy to replace for an often noticeable cornering or handling improvement.

On your transmission you might at least add a good shift kit like the ones that <a href="http://www.ckperformance.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk">http://www.ckperformance.com</a> sells. I bought one from them for $100 on a special. Firm quick upshifts even at part throttle but not harsh like some.

The 307 may not be the fastest but she's reliable. When I was a kid my dad bought a used '87 Cutlass Supreme (307) with over 200,000 miles on it. Ran great. If it hadn't rusted out so badly he probably wouldn't have sold it.. But yea I was eyeballing those ckperformance transmissions. The Transgo kit I put in is working well for me. Quick firm shifts but not too harsh. It was a bit more extensive than a B&M kit and I'm glad I went the direction I did. I've got faith in the 200-4R and I'll be keeping it but I won't be upgrading it much more until I get closer to an engine swap.

GhettoRacingKid said:
Its actually pretty cool. It goes really fast. Its good practice for the launch.
here is a video my gf at the time took
Man, that was short! Monte's lookin' good though.
Full track or not, it's something to do. Can't have a car and not do anything with it! :p That and not running the risk of getting pulled over or hitting a deer is always a plus. The track I ran at was about an hour away from my house (give or take). Worth the drive to get to a place where doing burnouts and flooring it is actually encouraged. ha

GhettoRacingKid said:
Wile E said:
Good Luck.

I think alot of people have learned its best not to look at what your spending and jsut nejoy the rode.
I'm gonna try really hard to make a compromise and NOT blow everything on my car and find a happy medium. .... but it's just too easy to want things. :lol: No seriously though. Gonna try to keep it under control.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
its a 1/4 oval track.

the closest track is like 2 hours away and I got to trailer my car. my brothers truck isnt what we would call reliable but a truck for me is in the works

I plan on going to a few tracks next year

I started out as a budget build.

My advise.

dont worry about the dollars and cents. figure out what you want to do with the car and then do a little at the time. try to find what you can used. if its a good deal buy it even if you dont use it right away. and if you scored a good deal you can always sell it and make your money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor