First Time Drag Racing Today (vin Y 307) (Now w/pics))

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I finally took my Regal to a drag strip and it was also my first time ever racing. Gotta admit, I didn't win once and I ran the slowest times there but I still had a great time! :mrgreen:
For anyone wondering what their stock 307 with 2:56 gears would do in the quarter, I kept my time slips. Other than the mods in my signature I've also recently added a 3 inch single exhaust (don't be hatin') and a dump before the muffler. Made 4 runs.
1:
reaction: .7089
ET: 17.0470
MPH: 78.68

2:
reaction: .6278
ET: 16.9763
MPH: 79.20

3:
reaction: .5869
ET: 16.9471
MPH: 80.64

4:
reaction: .5371
ET: 16.9130
MPH: 80.60

I was getting better and better every time but unfortunately that makes it really hard to guess what ET you're going to run. :roll: I got beat on the tree in the first elimination round by a guy in a 455 '73(ish) Cutlass but I also broke out by 2 tenths so I would've lost either way. Better luck next time. And there will be a next time. :lol: I made sure to get pics of all the other g-bodies running today. I'll have those up later.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Re: First Time Drag Racing Today (vin Y 307)

wait till you get those 3.73 and posi in there. she gonna launch like a crazed demon

Dr. Rudy

Greasemonkey
Mar 19, 2011
Pennsylvania

toss a 700r4 in there and get some 3.42 gears. still good cruising rpm but should launch like a ****.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Dr. Rudy said:
toss a 700r4 in there and get some 3.42 gears. still good cruising rpm but should launch like a ****.

Why would he do that if he already has a TH-2004R?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

Dr. Rudy said:
hes ditching the peg leg carrier and highway gears and going to run a 28 spline posi with 3.73 gears. ask me how i know :wink:

my car used to be alright with 2.73 gears and would chirp second hard with th350 and a mild 355. never made it to the track though. cant wait to get the car back together and run it. should be interesting with a clutch this time :twisted:

those are very respectable times though, especially being your first time.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana

Gotta say I really do like my 200-4R. As far as the gears go, going through the finish line at 80 in second gear tells me a gear change just might be a good idea. :rofl: Probably sounded like I was running a 2-speed powerglide. And Mark, I can't wait to get that posi. According to my dad who was watching from the sidelines, on my best run he said he heard the tire lose traction a little bit. And that was after a pretty decent burnout. Might help out a bit.
As far as the pictures go I might not get them up tonight, but I'll tell you this: The first car I raced was a white Regal. There was also a black regal, a cutlass, and 3 malibus making passes. All pretty good cars. All chevy powered too, actually. The Cutlass even had a vanity plate that said Oldsmolet. :roll:

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana

mebe007 said:
those are very respectable times though, especially being your first time.

Man as soon as I left the strip I was already thinking of ways to do better next time. I'd really like to go back next weekend. I'll see what happens. After next weekend the track closes for winter.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

307 Regal said:
The Cutlass even had a vanity plate that said Oldsmolet. :roll:

Thats awesome haha. If your just interested in your times and MPH then I wouldn't worry about reactions. Get used to launching the car then move on to perfecting your reaction time. Glad you had fun.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana

Well I accidentally missed the show I was going to watch so I'll just catch the encore. While I'm waiting, here are the more interesting pictures I took:

My Regal waiting for Sportsman class to start:
IMG_0983.jpg

Regal on Regal action:
IMG_0985.jpg

A couple Malibus warming up. The blue one was a runner and did a nice wheel stand but he blew his trans in the next round:
IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

"Newer" Malibu:
IMG_0991.jpg

The blacked-out Regal (apparently driven by a woman named Susan) had its hi-beams replaced with air intakes and if you look closely at the back of the Cutlass you can see what looked to me like an A-Body Cutlass style wing (slightly modified).
IMG_0996.jpg

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

Just a tip. If you are using street tires, don't do a long burnout. Just do it long enough to clean any crap off the tires and try to avoid the waterbox. Street tires loose traction when they get hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor