Flabergasted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I literally gave this car to a buddy because I didn't want to deal will all the BS of trying to sell it, and he had an engine looking for a home

dsc04009r.jpg

• Friendly
Reactions: 2 users

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
And these are the reason l choose to either throw it away or scrap it. Time is worth money, and even at minimum wage it ain't worth the time!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I literally gave this car to a buddy because I didn't want to deal will all the BS of trying to sell it, and he had an engine looking for a home

dsc04009r.jpg
Damn. You had to tell me about a missed opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
And then there's us. I park my Scion in the Back 40 parking lot because I drop off my kids at school most days, and that's the spaces that are left. As I hike over to my building, most mornings I see a Scion iQ (aka Toyota's 'Smart' car - get it?) and wonder, 'it's kinda cool, but who buys half a car, new?' It's like my Xa with the back seat and two doors cut out of it. On Tuesday, I follow an older lady out of the building...right up to this funny car. So I get the whole story...'husband dead, just has cats...all I need, plus it's cute'. Then I point out the tires that are not only smooth, but belts are peeking out of cracks in the tread. She says to walk around the other side. New front tire, no hubcap. Blowout, lost the hubcap, tires are $160 each, only brand available is Federal, Nephew 'lost' the inflatable donut. Car no go on three wheels, so got mugged getting the car back on the road again.

So I make a note of her name and go home for the night. Damn. Tire Rack sells ONE tire in a 175/60-16 for $130 plus shipping. I hack Malibus. I'm not done here...I get the kids into bed and roll up the virtual sleeves. I take a look at the specs on Tire Rack. OEM is 24.3" diameter. 185/55-16 is 24.1", 1/2" wider. 195/55-16 is 24.4", 1" wider. Both have multiple options from brands I've actually heard of, starting at $62. Internet leads to Hollander exchange number and a Toyota P/N. Amazon has a rim under both numbers for $87 new. EBay has a new OEM hubcap for $42. Free shipping on both.

End of story, I called her up and brought her the stack of paper I printed out and annotated the night before. Next morning I enjoyed a yummy Dunkin Boston Creme and put a smile on 11 colleagues' faces. That's how we roll here.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Friendly
Reactions: 10 users

86MCLS

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2018
Bothell, WA
Seems like no matter WHAT I sell on Craigslist there's always some poor family with 28 kids & no job & wondering if I'd consider donating the item... :mad::mad::mad::bs:

• Agree

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Tell them about Freecycle. Oh, and they have to actually pick up the item...free does not include delivery.

86MCLS

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2018
Bothell, WA
Tell them about Freecycle. Oh, and they have to actually pick up the item...free does not include delivery.

IF I respond, I usually offer to mail them a Costco sized box of rubbers, a link to the help wanted section on CL and Google maps directions to the state employment office, and tell them to make better life choices. (I know that 99.99% it's just a cheapskate BSing for freebies. Gotta try to get them to see how ridiculous their stupid story is.)

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
One buying, and one selling story for ya'll.

Found a nice set of take-off Canyon Denali 20" wheels/tires/TPMS on eBay. Message the seller and offer $800+shipping, they respond with $900+shipping. Done. It took forever to finalize the deal - mostly because eBay is the sh*ts these days. So I pump their user name into the Googler and find the number for a dealership in Arkansas. Talk to some nice folks and we get it sorted out the old fashioned way in a few hours. Communication is everything.

I had the original 4L70E from our TBSS for sale for a long time for $900. Dude asks what my lowest price is, I say $850 with the explanation that it is a cost recovery for the core charge I paid for our first built trans. I did say that if I got the full price I would include a bunch of upgrades for a rebuild (guts of my RPM Level 5). He says nope, just the trans. Weird, considering he was having it rebuilt. Shows up a bit late, doesn't even shut his car off, just grabs the trans and goes. Must have been too busy to converse - or it is the classic cold-Quebecois business mannerisms.

Oh well, I have a bunch of 4L70E upgrades available for $150. Contact me. ;)

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I've had far more better experiences buying things than selling things.i try and put my best foot foward to be as accommodating as possible buying in hopes that the seller will return extend me same courtesy.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor