Fleabay sucks even more

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I got my notification this morning also. I was disappointed, but I haven't bought much on that site for the last few years. The 1% would save me a couple dollars every so often ( big deal...). As stated above, all the taxes, and fees... I'll pass.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
And sellers get a pretty good discount on the shipping cost.
Years back when I was selling alot on Fleabay I noticed the USPS "discounted shipping cost" was the same as the USPS site. But charging you 10% of the shipping cost that they don't sell you is bullshit.
I backed off of it since they are collecting taxes on every transaction.

I can't quite write it off as it's the only place I can find my RC car/truck parts. There isn't any other store or marketplace that even comes close. This week I was able to get a hard to find piston/sleeve for a nitro engine, shipping in from France.
I'm the same with my slot car parts since there isn't a hobby shop in the area that has anything. Most if not all purchases are based off free shipping listings as long as they over jack the shipping cost in the item's price.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
I backed off of it since they are collecting taxes on every transaction.

I can't quite write it off as it's the only place I can find my RC car/truck parts. There isn't any other store or marketplace that even comes close. This week I was able to get a hard to find piston/sleeve for a nitro engine, shipping in from France.
This is where I am at. Have a few RC car shops I go through then for hard to find stuff I end up on Ebay. Stopped selling on Ebay as their seller charges were killing me. I was already losing money on most stuff I was selling...but the fees...made it not even worth it.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You should see the prices for used gauge 1 track, often its just as much or more than new track. Pretty often the sellers try to lure you in with cheap prices but charge outrageous shipping prices.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
As said, shipping is ridiculous, which usually negates any good price. I couldn't find the high definition Chromecast for sale anywhere up here, including Amazon at Christmas, so Ebay it was. A good price but the one in living room isn't any better for speed than the regular one it replaced. I even upgraded my internet. They look right but didn't come in the original box. Maybe for shipping reasons or maybe a return? I avoid Summit now as because again, shipping is ridiculous. I couldn't find a Hitachi style mini starter, by far the most compact for a reasonable price on Amazon. The seller on Ebay sent me a 5% off offer on the one I had in cart. I bought it, it ended up cheaper than anywhere else I could find one. As said, usually the last resort where it used to be our go to place to buy just about anything.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I find ebay shopping is best when you don't absolutely need whatever it is your finding on the site. I mean, like in NEED where you're needing a hard to find part to finish a project. But I find pretty good deals all the time but it's a bit of work, I grant you that. Agree, with the shipping, it eats a lot of your dollar value in much of what you save on the retail price of something.

But- I vacuumed up all kinds of NOS GM/Delco differential, axle, and wheel bearings on the dirt cheap. And they're 99.9% of the time Timken bearings and wrapped up, plus the Delco bearings include the race. If you find the Timken-branded boxed stuff, it's usually twice the price or doesn't include the race or is the race separately. And they don't usually wrap them.

It's especially decent if the seller has 2 or more of the bearings and wants to move them. Typically, the bearings on ebay have a lot of competition, so in order to move them, they tend to be more open to discounted offers with adding a "make offer", to which I do. And I take them off their hands. Last I got was pinion bearing set of 4. Good Lord if you checked the list price of the bearings you would certainly hesitate to buy them. Even with a discount at the dealer they'll be about $225 for those 4 bearings alone. I got two sets because I need to flappy-wheel the inside of one set to use as a depth checking set. I paid about 30% of GM list price for that 3.73 U.S.A.-made NOS set of gears I just got, p/n 1259441. Figure you buy a set of aftermarket gears made in China or wherever you'll pay that or even more. And the latest GM p/n gearset is offshore parts from Taiwan. Maybe ok, but not for me. Figure for both the gears and all the bearings, considering current GM list prices, I paid about 25 cents on the dollar for GM parts. And the gear set included the ring gear bolts and a couple of crush sleeves. More sh*t I don't have to buy.

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
I had a lot of success with evilbay on NOS parts, also other hobby stuff. But I divorced ebay as a seller because I don't agree with their new management and administration policies, essentially they think they are a bank rather than a mere internet shopping platform.

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I scored these on eBay for $45, plus $10 freight from Canada a few weeks ago. Forgot about them until they were delivered last night.

Rear/side window trim for my 78 monte Carlo. These things are near impossible to find and when you do, the cost is ridiculous!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 97

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I scored these on eBay for $45, plus $10 freight from Canada a few weeks ago. Forgot about them until they were delivered last night.

Rear/side window trim for my 78 monte Carlo. These things are near impossible to find and when you do, the cost is ridiculous!
Could you send a pic of the rubber side and one looking sraitdown the trim to see the width of the channel, thnx in advance

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I do like the "make best offer" sales but often the seller is only willing to go down a couple of bucks. Why even bother? Why waste my time? If my low offer is the best you can get- then be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor