Flex fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill cook

Apprentice
Apr 22, 2016
In the Engine Masters test I think the clutch fan would rob even more power since I don't think it would be fully engaged with a radiator that doesn't have hot coolant in it.
Watched it was good info ,have it gettin a F&B trans now hope to see it buy tues ,then I'll look at Colin ,new rad hoses etc in it now .

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Clutch fans rob the most power, but if cooling is your concern, then grab a factory setup. If not, go nuts.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
For what it's worth, I don't think anybody mentioned that they are hard on the water pump.

A friend tried that type of fan on his 350 and I think he lost a water pump and he did go back to a stock setup and no problems after that. Plus the noise drove him nuts.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Clutch fans rob the most power, but if cooling is your concern, then grab a factory setup. If not, go nuts.

Any fan robs power. The nice thing about a "Thermostatically controlled fan clutch" is only when needed. You get what you pay for.
Too broke to buy cheap!

• Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Flex fans are known to sometimes breakapart and send blades through the rad. They also consume more HP as they are fixed and do not freespin at all unlike clutch fans, and the flex blades do not truly flatten out like the ads claim. Even if the blades did flatten out, the wheel is still putting more resistance on the engine due to being fixed and always spinning at full engine speed. Clutch fans slip and semi freewheel from quick RPM changes and go near freespin at WOT, which robs less power.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Any fan robs power. The nice thing about a "Thermostatically controlled fan clutch" is only when needed. You get what you pay for.
Too broke to buy cheap!
whoops, meant they take the least. Still, stock thermal clutch fan and shroud will do wonders.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Does anybody ever consider the current draw from an E- fan introducing parasitic resistance to the alternator and belt drive(s)? An old school mechanic and good friend introduced that theory to me, yet I've never seen it measured. A fan is a motor, and can draw substantial amperage...

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Does anybody ever consider the current draw from an E- fan introducing parasitic resistance to the alternator and belt drive(s)? An old school mechanic and good friend introduced that theory to me, yet I've never seen it measured. A fan is a motor, and can draw substantial amperage...
Yes, and as you said "old school". You do need a properly suited charging system.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor