Flex fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
If you need 4hp theoretically to run an electric fan, then how much do you need for a clutch or flex fan? That's all I'm saying. Who has done a side by side comparison?
If you are talking hp only a mechanical fan will take 20 to 30 hp more than an electric.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
There is no power to be gained with different types of fans. They only provide a parasitic loss from having to slice through the air. According to engine masters video posted a little while ago, a stock clutch fan only takes 14hp. You'll never feel that driving around.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
With a HOT radiator in front of a clutching fan, it will kill MORE HP than any of the other fans. They work cruising down the highway, but DON'T do a track day with one and don't anyone believe they are suitable for "high performance" because they are not. Period.

People that don't run electric fans in 2017 are still living in 1982. They can try to convince themselves they are not, but they are only convincing themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Does anybody ever consider the current draw from an E- fan introducing parasitic resistance to the alternator and belt drive(s)? An old school mechanic and good friend introduced that theory to me, yet I've never seen it measured. A fan is a motor, and can draw substantial amperage...
Yes, but at the track for example you can turn your fans off at the line. My G body has the Dodge Stratus fans, they fit and cool well. The problem is finding a reliable controller that isn't $200.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor