Floor shifter with column shift column still there

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So I have the B & M floor shifter installed in my Regal and I have a steering column for the floor shifter but it is not installed yet.
So can I just take out the column shift handle for it to function temporarily with my floor shifter until I get my other column in?
Really I just wanted to test how much effort the cable will have moving the bars going up to the steering column.
Way back when I did my Monte I did the new column and floor shifter at the same time.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Pop the pin & pull the lever. The shifter bowl will move freely unless you lock the column.
Thanks, I thought that was all I had to do but wasn't sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hookup the neutral safety switch and back up light to the floor shifter. Then put a big ziptie on the lever that the linkage used to attach to. Knock the pin out of the column shift handle - done.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Hookup the neutral safety switch and back up light to the floor shifter. Then put a big ziptie on the lever that the linkage used to attach to. Knock the pin out of the column shift handle - done.
I have my Monte wired up like that but used a big lag bolt to lock the column to the firewall.
Unlike the Monte where I made a custom dash the Regal still has the shift indicator in the dash and I would like to keep that functional if I can.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have my Monte wired up like that but used a big lag bolt to lock the column to the firewall.
Unlike the Monte where I made a custom dash the Regal still has the shift indicator in the dash and I would like to keep that functional if I can.
Well that will be different. Very interested to see how it this works out.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
At some point the Column in my SS was swapped out to one that used to have a shifter on it, it's been sitting like this since I've owned the car. If I rotate it I can't get the key out, which means it's working correctly inside.

GAUGES.jpg

I've re-wired everything to work correctly given my setup.. :)

INTERIOR.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
I don’t know if this helps but I had a 79 Cutlass with the factory floor shifter and the column had a collar that moved when you shifted . All the linkage was there for a column shift but no handle to pull. You might want to try and find one of those columns .

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I don’t know if this helps but I had a 79 Cutlass with the factory floor shifter and the column had a collar that moved when you shifted . All the linkage was there for a column shift but no handle to pull. You might want to try and find one of those columns .
I already have a floor shift column it is just not installed yet.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well that will be different. Very interested to see how it this works out.
I am trying to do the modifications to the interior where they are custom but still give it a kind of factory look..
So if I can retain the dash shift indicator I think that would be kind of cool, that is also why I will be installing the floor shift column to eliminate the the spot where the column shift arm attaches, one of the few things I saved for myself from the Monte SS I stripped.

IMG_20210821_185442496.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor