Fluid Film? Anyone use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
While looking around on the Internet, I came across another forum thread discussing a product called "Fluid Film". It is supposedly a removable rust inhibiting undercoating that dries to a waxy, film like texture. I have heard of people using waste oil to undercoat their vehicles but never a purpose made product for doing this. I am wondering if anyone has used this stuff and how it holds up. Being that I just painted the underside of my car with gloss black Rustoleum, I was thinking I could use this product in spots where I couldn't get at with the paint (i.e inside frame rails, body cavities, corners and edges). Has anyone used this product and how does it hold up? Will it harm the new black paint I just put down? Also I noticed it comes in spray cans and gallons. Is the spray can the same stuff in the gallon or is it more "thinned down"? Seems like an interesting product.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I've never used it, but I've seen a "Fluid Film" brand spray lubricant aka WD40 style. Otherwise what you've seen sounds like "body schutz". 3M makes it, I have a can I used inside of my new rear frame rails almost 6 years ago, and it's still doing it's job (no rust forming under the primer I coated them internally with). Transtar and probably Norton as well as a few others make similar products and there are special spray tips with tubing that spray in all directions to fit inside frame rails ( usually referred to as a "wand"). Keep in mind this stuff stays gooey, so stones/debris shouldn't chip the bottom of your car, but they will stick to it/imbed themselves in it.

I wouldn't suggest putting it over rust, as it's not really going to help it. I would first put on a rust treatment of some sort. Eastwood makes one in aerosol with a "wand" specifically made to go inside frame rails and tight spots. Last time I looked they called it "Internal Panel Coating". Then after that I would put the gooey stuff on.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Fluid Film is sold here in aerosol form, as well as in 1 gallon cans. Its a good lubricant. As pointed out, its probably best used as an undercoating on a clean surface, as opposed to being used over rust. Just as an aside, it smells good too.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Come to think of it, GM/dealerships used a similar "goo" for rustproofing on the body. My Regal still has it inside the trunk lid and between the frame rail and the inner rocker area. At first I thought the stuff was sweat/condensation inside the trunk lid, but it was the "goo" when I touched it. Apparently this is what the RPO code for "rust-proofing" consisted of.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
I used it on my truck and my work car. The truck isnt a daily driver its held up good on it, but the car is driven in everything rain, snow and slushy roads it seems to wash off pretty good from the tire spray.. I did spray it on late in the fall maybe that was the problem? Next year I'll try it again earlier late summer and drive them down some dirty/dusty roads to help "seal" it. Its alot less messy then using used motor oil it wont drip in the driveway. My tip for you is buy the spray gun kit and get yourself the gallon jugs and spray it that way its easier on the hands!

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Any petroleum based product with a fairly neutral ph balance is corrosive resistant. This was something I learned working a chemical plant nearby. I asked why people were diverting rem-oil which is used to clean guns of course, lots of workers were spraying it under their cars as a corrosive resistant chemical. It had only mixed results for preventing corrosion frankly, although its very effective at keeping bs off rims, and particularly brake dust off rims. For inside the frame, even tow ball grease or lithium grease is ok. Even cheap petroleum jelly from the dollar store is better than nothing in a spot you expect water and salt to mix up. Anyway, my point is only that I learned from working at the plant what a waste some products really are and what a value some others are. You don't need to spend big money and buy expensive chemicals and wands to resist corrosion. All you really have to do is look at the ph balance and corrosive resistant chemical properties of the main ingredients of many common household things and you would find that many products contain large amounts of the same corrosion resistant chemicals with fairly inert 'other' ingredients. What I learned from working at the plant was a chemical is a chemical. No need to overpay for the same chemical behind a different label over some bragging and boisterous claims from an advertisement!

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
PS I bought 'rust converter primer' by rust-oleum and it was more than $10 but well worth it I slowed the progress of surface rust in multiple locations on my huge Cadillac. I highly recommend that one it's a lifesaver and helps prevent small bullet sized rust bubbles from becoming major headaches later on!

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
pencero said:
Any petroleum based product with a fairly neutral ph balance is corrosive resistant. This was something I learned working a chemical plant nearby. I asked why people were diverting rem-oil which is used to clean guns of course, lots of workers were spraying it under their cars as a corrosive resistant chemical. It had only mixed results for preventing corrosion frankly, although its very effective at keeping bs off rims, and particularly brake dust off rims. For inside the frame, even tow ball grease or lithium grease is ok. Even cheap petroleum jelly from the dollar store is better than nothing in a spot you expect water and salt to mix up. Anyway, my point is only that I learned from working at the plant what a waste some products really are and what a value some others are. You don't need to spend big money and buy expensive chemicals and wands to resist corrosion. All you really have to do is look at the ph balance and corrosive resistant chemical properties of the main ingredients of many common household things and you would find that many products contain large amounts of the same corrosion resistant chemicals with fairly inert 'other' ingredients. What I learned from working at the plant was a chemical is a chemical. No need to overpay for the same chemical behind a different label over some bragging and boisterous claims from an advertisement!

Actually most oils and spray (white lithium) greases wash away quickly, at least if you were to put it somewhere where it is going to be open to the elements. They'll work, but you'll have to keep reapplying constantly. This is why a waxy product with body is more effective, as it is closer to an actual undercoating, but you have the ability to scrape it off much easier if you ever have to (and you can see what is underneath). Like cosmoline the factory used to sometimes dip things in instead of painting them. Vasoline, again, is better than a spray lube, but still doesn't have the body that will allow it to hold up better over time and will melt into an oily mess if it gets hot. The 3M stuff I had got was $10-$15, and about 3x the size of any of your usual spay lube cans. I've used the same can when I worked at the body shop, on my own frame rails, and various other things, and still have at least half a can. Most of the products are made for when you repair a new car in a collision, you spray it in the crevices/seams that were welded on/near (which is how I was introduced to it). Believe me, this is an instance where you get what you pay for.

I have an article on a late 60's Barracuda with 250,000 miles with the original owner in Alaska from a year or two ago. I remember specifically that it stated he used a "waxy rust inhibitior" made by Lucas on the undercarriage and engine bay. Although it wasn't a show car, it only ever needed the outer body to be repainted, and that was mainly due to rock chips from passing trucks.

There is a can of Fluid Film where I work now, so I'll have to get one and see where it actually lies between lithium grease/WD40 style lube/schutz/wax.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Just tried the Fluid Film, seems like a combo of PB Blaster and lithium grease. Has a mixing ball. I don't see it being too terribly useful to spray on an undercarriage, unless the car isn't driven in any slop. But it should be a real good alternative to WD40.

Nov 4, 2012
Come to think of it, we use this non-drying rust fighter from 3M at work. It's also a waxy type product, we occasionally spray it in body cavities that are prone to rusting. I'm wondering if it is essentially the same product?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 253
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor