Flying Quarter Windows!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
So, about 2 months ago, Just before I put the GP back on the road, I removed the vinyl top. Since then, I have been doing body work to make everything look good. I only get to it a few times a week, for a few hours each time, so it would be stupid for me to remove and replace the speed nuts holding the windows in each time. I have left them off for almost 2 months, with no problem. The black goo was enough to hold them in place. Today, I was finishing everything up, and installed some weatherstripping around the hole the windows sit in, to fill the slight gap where the vinyl was tucked in. I didn't put the nuts on, even though I was done, since I didn't have my tools with me. Due to the thickness of the weatherstripping, they didn't sit in as far as before, but I didn't think much of it.
Anyways, my fiance and I headed out on the highway to her aunt and uncle's house. About a mile or so later, I hear a big rush of air, and then her yelling 'The window, the window!', then...BYE BYE window! I pulled over, ran back to where it was lying, half way in the middle of the lane, and to my surprise, the window was intact! The top left corner of the black and chrome trim was all chewed up, as it probably hit the ground 1st, and there was a bit of road rash on most of the chrome, but the glass was fine.
I drove the rest of the 15 or so miles on the highway with her holding the window in her lap, and me praying the passenger side didn't do the same. We got there, I borrowed a ratchet and socket from her uncle, and made sure those windows weren't coming out on their own again. Ironically, when I tightened everything down, the gap that the weatherstripping was supposed to fill disappeared.
Having parts fly off your car while doing 75 down the highway is not very fun. But, it could have been a lot worse. So, now I am looking for a driver's side 1/4 window from a vinyl top GP (so they both match), or both sides from a non vinyl top GP.

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
Reminds me of a friends '84 Cutlass... the drivers side T-top panel vacated the premisis at about 80 mph. He wasn't so lucky about breakage though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So, now I am looking for a driver's side 1/4 window from a vinyl top GP (so they both match), or both sides from a non vinyl top GP.

there is no difference in the window with or without the vinyl top...the non vinyl top windows has the seal which is mounted on the window....

I hope if you ever get a flat and you put the spare on just for temporary purposes you won't omit putting on the lug nuts... :shock:

IhaveNoPantsOn

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2009
Holyoke, MA
Lets hope not! hahaha. I drove it for a couple months like that, with no problems, but once I added the weatherstripping, the windows weren't able to set in as far, and the wind caught the edge of it, and POP! Hope I can find another window, cuz the scratched chrome is really bothering me.

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
years ago, my older brother had an 82 GP with t-tops. some guy pulled out in front of him and he t-boned an F150. car went to the tow yard, we went out there to get it the next day. it was still drivable, just smashed the header panel and buckled the fender.so he drives it home with me following in my car. i dont know if the wreck tweaked the body enough to loosen the t-top or what but, going down the highway at around 60, the drivers t-top flew out! he said it felt like he was being sucked out of the top of the car when it came out. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor