For the turbo regal guys...83 TR $1500 OKC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
From what i can tell from the limited research I did, in 83 the only way to get a turbo in a regal was as a t type.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
That picture doesn't match what a 83 T Type should look like. It has a turbo hood but I would bet if the vin was run it would be a limited.
To me looks exactly what a ttype should look like, aside from missing the fender emblems and original rims.

For one thing, you had to order the "decor package" which was optional to get the black accents, chrome trim was available and can be correct.

As another aside, a huge number of the 1983-down t-type regals came with the limited interior package as well. The only "turbo limited" was not in 1987, just the best documented.

Now having said that, the grille is not correct for an 83, that's a 1982 grille. Who knows what/when/why it was swapped... header panel does have the correct emblem on it, but was just the grille changed out? Header swapped for some reason? Header and hood? No way to tell unless someone goes to see if it has the "k47" vin code...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I still think it could be a turbo Regal but without the T-Type package. I looked at a T-Type Regal once and it had a 307 Olds in it.

This was a 1987 only quirk. Speculation is that it was don't for marketing purposes and to use up extra parts for end of production run since there wasn't going to be a 1988 rwd carryover regal like the monte or cutlass classic.

Technically there was no more "t-type" in 1987. You had the "T" package which was appearance (15" turbine rims, buckets/floor shift, etc, and came with the 307v8/200r4 but sadly no 8.5). You could then opt for the upgraded turbo 3.8 engine making it a "Turbo T" with the 8.5, turbo engine, bulge hood, etc. It was the only year where the 307 could come with most of the otherwise appearance oriented characteristics of the turbo car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
looks like it may have been wrecked 34 years ago and they put an earlier bumper and grille on it. It has the cool clear marker lights in the bumper.

If it was wrecked later than 1986 or it would have had the far more plentiful later parts on it.

An '83 would have the 2.5mph bumper and a fender bender will take out the bumper and grille

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
looks like it may have been wrecked 34 years ago and they put an earlier bumper and grille on it. It has the cool clear marker lights in the bumper.

If it was wrecked later than 1986 or it would have had the far more plentiful later parts on it.

Well, 1983 still used the clear lamps in the bumper too... amber/orange wasnt introduced until 1984...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Well, 1983 still used the clear lamps in the bumper too... amber/orange wasnt introduced until 1984...

Yeah I probably should have looked that up before saying anything. The parts book says 1984's got them, too, but I don't remember that. Not that there are a lot of 1984's around.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yeah I probably should have looked that up before saying anything. The parts book says 1984's got them, too, but I don't remember that. Not that there are a lot of 1984's around.
If I had to guess, I would attribute that to the 4 door regals and wagons. 1984 was the last year of the sedan regal, and my guess is it carried over the existing clear lenses of the earlier years. I too cannot recall ever seeing a (factory) equipped 1984 coupe with the clear bumper lamps, but also cannot recall ever seeing a sedan with the amber...

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
my '83 has a few decor pieces missing... the fender opening trim was not re-installed after a single stage repaint performed approximately 15 years ago, the guy i got this one(ten years ago) from purchased it from the original owner. it came with an idaho car dealer key tag. it had a 4bbl turbo set-up. while having the engine rebuilt in a tech school shop, the original feedback carb vanished along with the dual pot distributor. i'll see if i can find a pic of the fender ding that initiated the re-paint. i'll be looking for the build sheet under the rear seat to post it for the buick guys. mine's almost original body wise, with almost all the badging still on it. pillow top seats, column shift, t roof. original delco radio still in it, clear bumper marker lights. since the car can never be original again, i don't believe i'm being so blasphemous by running it with a chevy v8 now..

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
Here's mine now... it' a bit frosty out, but hey? It's an original body from what I got from the guy I got it from, and being an engineer, he had no reason for BS'ing me.
IMG_20170130_204018.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor