For those of you with 86's....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Morgan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2016
I have recently swapped 86' elky round gauges into my 79' and cant figure out what the right sending units are for the coolant temp. and oil pressure. For those without a computer on their car, what sending units do you use? i heard the senders have to come from the same year car as the gauges are. i have 350 small block, but that shouldn't matter. Not sure if cutlass stuff would work, but open to ideas.

part numbers are appreciated!

thanks in advance

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you swapped from idiot lights to gauges then you need the senders for the gauges, I wouldn't think exact year would be as much of a concern as long as the wiring matches the senders.

Mike Morgan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2016
If you swapped from idiot lights to gauges then you need the senders for the gauges, I wouldn't think exact year would be as much of a concern as long as the wiring matches the senders.
i did swap from idiot lights, which is why i need new sending units. however, the temp sending unit i got read 210 on the gauge, when my mechanical one i had before read 180 and i just replaced the thermostat with a 180 one, so im trying to figure whats up. the oil pressure sender i think is just a matter of getting the right psi one (60psi rather than 80)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What application did you buy the temp sender for and is it mounted in the same location as the mechanical gauge/

Mike Morgan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2016
What application did you buy the temp sender for and is it mounted in the same location as the mechanical gauge/
temp sender is for coolant and they claimed it was for a gauge. It is in the same spot, on the front drivers side of the intake, right by the waterneck

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
sounds like its similar to my olds. some where between " and "87, gm changed the temp range of the gauges from 260 degrees to 280 degrees. buy the sender for the year car that the gauges came from. I've tried running a sender for 260 in a car with a 280 gauge and found the readings to be wrong. any one else find this to be true?

Mike Morgan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2016
oriley's and i said 86' el camino with no computer, i looked ans specifically made sure it only had one prong on it

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
also, the computer and gauges do not share sensors for temp and oil. the temp sensors are separate from each other. and the oil press sensor only feeds info to the oil press gauge. no oil press sensor for the computer.

Mike Morgan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2016
also, the computer and gauges do not share sensors for temp and oil. the temp sensors are separate from each other. and the oil press sensor only feeds info to the oil press gauge. no oil press sensor for the computer.
how come some have two prongs and a little plastic housing then? for the coolant temp sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor