for those who have used a 700r4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
I want to rebuild/modify my 700r4 and put it in my cutlass.
I want to hear from anyone who has used, rebuilt, and/or modified a 700r4.
I mainly want first hand experinces with 700r4's.
I would also like to here what brands of trans parts you all like. (b&m, tci, transgo, etc.) and any good sites to look at or good books to get.

Thanks for the help.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
i allready own the 700r4

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I understand. So did I. :lol: But if i had to do it again i'd most likely use the 2004r.

Keep in mind other than mods to the transmission you will need to shorten your driveshaft and modify or buy a new crossmember.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
I allready need to make a cross member for my th350, so thats no big deal.

As far as drive shaft length goes, it all depends on which tailshaft is on my transmission now, the guy i got the car from swapped out the trans and drive shaft when he put in the 350. the car came with the metric 3 speed trans stock.

I still have to get under it and measure it, but i dont think mine has the short shaft on it.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Well if that's the case then you should be good to go. I'd say make sure you get the geometry correcter for the carb linkage and set up the tv cable right.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
edelbrock makes an adapter for there carb now, to hook up a TV cable.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
As automatics go, I loved my 700r4 when it was in my malibu. Never gave me problems and I got about 20mpg with a heavy foot. I bought the malibu with the transmission, but getting the driveshaft shortend should only cost a little over $100 and you could probable get a friend who owns a welder to fix your crossmember. I pulled my 700r4 and put it in my S10. Now I'm going to try and put a 5 or 6 speed in it.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
jrm81bu said:
Check out www.bowtieoverdrives.com.
Have you considered using a 2004r?

X2

The 700 r4 needs an adapter to bolt to the engine in your sig. It has a pretty big jump from first to second gear.

The 200 4R will bolt up to your engine. The 200 4r gear spacing is more equal.

Your call. I have a 700 in my car. It will become a 200 4r as soon as the money comes available. Cores are cheap(I have picked up several for $100 each). Get under the big Cadillac and look for an AA code on the tailpiece, this is a good candidate for you.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
I dont think that the jump from first to second is that bad, I had a 700 on a lil v6 and it handled it with no problem.

Also right know i am having an issue with my 350 trans thats in the car. its not holding second gear. if i baby it it works but as soon as i give it some gas, it jumps back to first (i beleave my 1-2 shift valve is sticking and dumpes the fluid back to the first gear clutch pack).
But with the shift problem i have, if i floor it, it goes straight from first to third, and it will bark the tires when it shifts, plust the motor has no problem with going straight to third, and it still launches when it grabs third.
So if it can handle goin from first to third now, I think it will handle going from first to second on the 700r4.
And the motor i am bolting it to produces more tourqe then horsepower, and it produces about 400 at the crank, need i say more.

As far as first to second in the 700r4, yes first is lower, but so is second, so the jump isnt as bad as everyone makes it sound like.

I have looked at the gearing in the 700r4 and the 200r4, I will be using the 700r4, thats it, please do not tell me to use the tiny little 200r4.

Please I need info on the 700r4, good places for the parts, modifications, experiences, and so on. Not stuff about the 200r4 (not to sound like an a-hole, but i dont care about the 200r4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor