Ford 9" Rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
I was talking to my dad the other day while working on my car and found out we have a 9" rear from a late 60's mustang just sitting in the shop. (I believe it is from a 67 but can't remember) I know its a popular swap into g-bodies but what do i need to do to get it to work correctly?

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
well for starters you have to make sure the width of the axle is close.... you have to weld all your existing brackets to the 9 incher....plus get the upper control arm mounting kit with bushings and weld that as well...which requires you to measure the pinion angle... you also have to have the driveshaft modified to accept the 9 inch yoke. which requires cutting welding and rebalancing.

it could be a weekend project.. personally id sell the 9 in rear its not needed unless your making a sh*t ton of power.... ive seen 7.5 rears go deep into the 11s !
:shock:

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
500hp engine sure...but even the beefy 9inch would need some work to handle that power for a long time! If you have the resources then go ahead and do the swap! You already have the parts so make them work Good luck man.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
easiest way to install a 9" on a g body is to go for 4 link suspension + panhard rod ...

they are quite cheap nowadays and give way better control then the original g body designed arms ...

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
if i were you i would make it a floater right away, you have to remember that a ford 9 takes some 30 hp to turn over, with a floater rear end it will make that much easer to turn over. i know they are a bit more pricey, but you already have the rear end and 3rd member, so why not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor