Ford 9" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 pro olds

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
Would it be wise to purchase this complete ford 9" rear end from a 68 bronco that is 58" wide for 300.00 ? All i would have to do is a rebuild of it and install some gears , posi and weld on mounts. Should I purchase this?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
IMO, $300 is a little on the high side for a fairly common axle that needs a full overhaul. By the time you figure in your posi unit, gear set, bearings, brakes, mounts (unless you make your own), having the axles and drums drilled for your bolt pattern, (and that's assuming you do all your own set up work) you'll be closing in on the cost of a complete rearend ready to bolt in and go, such as a Quick performance.......jmo of course though.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
if it is posi , and you can get it down to $250.00 not a bad buy ......

but if open case , it is kind of expensive .....

my opinion

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
Rear end $300
Rebuilt Posi carrier and Gears $600
Axel Bearing, brakes, wheel cylinders $100
G Body Brackets: $125
Total $1125

Quick Performance

Housing and Axels: $745
Brakes: $300
Rebuilt Posi Carrier and Gears: $600

Total $1645

Price do not include re-drilling axels and drums on the Bronco or shipping on the Quick Performance unit which would probably equal out.

So the Bronco is about $500 cheaper but only if you do not have to farm out welding the brackets to the rear end (Currie used to do this for $250 plus shipping both ways).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor