Ford explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
I got a question for my friend, he's got a 1996 Ford explorer and the motors blown, cracked block? don't know how it happened but its toast. Does anybody know if we can fit a motor from a later model or earlier model explorer into his?? we're gonna hit up a u-pull junk yard and see what we can find, thanks for the help.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
usually in the year range will work...just gotta be careful to check the 8th digit on the vin....if his has the 4.0 in it, I think it's the ohv type engine, and some of the later models had the sohc type engine, that won't work with his computer. hth

Darin

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
Pretty sure other year engines were the same, just double check that its the SOHC or OHV version if it's the 4.0 model. I have a 98 4.0 SOHC, which is the high output model. It's almost the same HP and torque as the V-8 model and gets better mpg. The SOHC engine isn't made by ford, it's built by a German company and bought by ford, so it's totally different than the ford pushrod 4.0.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Alright so the OHV model is the 8 cylinder ford motor? I'll know exactly what motor is in his car pretty soon, but off hand do you know what kind've leg work is involved in going from the OHV to SOHC? Like i said it's a u-pull job so if we need to nab the CPU and related electronics then we can do that.

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
The 4.0 V-6 comes in two choices- one is the standard OHV engine with pushrods etc. That is the low power output engine. Then there is the SOHC 4.0 V-6 engine which is the overhead cam model. Then there is a V-8 which I believe is a 5.0 standard pushrod engine.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
the computers wont work with the opposite engine....ohv ecm won't work w/ a ohc engine and so forth... I think they used the same trans, but motor mounts might be different...

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Thanks for the advice, turns out the block wasn't cracked, and the garage he took it to, to look at it is full of sh*t. They said the motor was leaking oil " the blocks cracked!" then they tried to cover up that lie with another lie, they said it was leaking oil from the fuel pump, FAIL. Explain how an electric in-tank fuel pump is leaking oil? Busted.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
CamaroAdam73 said:
Thanks for the advice, turns out the block wasn't cracked, and the garage he took it to, to look at it is full of sh*t. They said the motor was leaking oil " the blocks cracked!" then they tried to cover up that lie with another lie, they said it was leaking oil from the fuel pump, FAIL. Explain how an electric in-tank fuel pump is leaking oil? Busted.

:rofl: they wouldn't happen to have a very large tree (with an engine hanging from one of the lower limbs) in front of the "shop", would they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor