Fordillac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordillac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2019
Really there are a couple parts to your answer.

1) by the time you're adding a caddy 500 into a front clip you are going to want to rebuild the front end anyways - factory brakes will be insufficient, spring won't be strong enough, and since it's apart anyways, bushings and ball joints only make sense.

You should be able to find a cheap gbody that is rotted in the rear frame rails as a donor.

2) depending on your driving style, you may want a close ratio steering box. You do NOT need a monte ss/442/ttype/gn to get one, just the right option code from a donor ad any of the cars were able to be ordered with a performance suspension.

3) each of the various gbody cars had their own unique frame braces that other models didn't get. I'd point to the cutlass and grand prix for triangulation braces to help stiffen things up. If you're on a budget, f body larger front sway bar is a good choice as well.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Cool project. The regular suspension rides and handles like a marshmallow, definitely can be improved. But springs and sway bars are better in the aftermarket version than any stock version. If the donor is cheap enough, upgrade with better aftermarket parts and consider the 2WD Blazer brake swap. I think most will consider your car a G body in spirit and a honorary member of the club.

Fordillac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2019
Cool project. The regular suspension rides and handles like a marshmallow, definitely can be improved. But springs and sway bars are better in the aftermarket version than any stock version. If the donor is cheap enough, upgrade with better aftermarket parts and consider the 2WD Blazer brake swap. I think most will consider your car a G body in spirit and a honorary member of the club.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordillac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2019
Thanks 307/403, don't know about Blazer brakes. Tell me more as long it doesn't increase the track width. The clip will certainly be completely rebuild, I'm to old to do it twice 🙃 I'll have a lot more questions once I score a clip. I'm not trying to cheap out, I've got enough set aside to do it right and do it once. I'll be off line for a few days while I do flooring in my computer room. Keep the suggestions coming.....Thanks Curt in Arizona...

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Here is the thread on the Blazer front brake upgrade....

Reactions: 1 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
The Cadillac powered Fords were big in the early 50s. Andy Granatelli and his Brother were making this conversation in Chicago around 1950.

Reactions: 1 users

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
Just a few quick comments on the swap.

Mounting the 500 on a G Body front clip should be close to what I had to do to put a 500 on the El Camino. I offset my engine to the passenger side a bit for clearance and depending on how the things line up on your 52 you may or may not have to do this. My build thread pretty much covers what I did for mounts and locating the engine.

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/500-cadillac-in-a-g-body.25458/

Not knowing how the engine is currently set up with the original frame, a couple of things to look out for.

If you don’t already have one on the engine you will need a rear sump El Dorado oil pan to clear the front crossmember. You might also look at the drain back mod I made to mine to alleviate having to drain the front sump.

To run a factory sway bar (strongly recommended) you will need to use the 425 Cadillac off set oil pump for clearance.

While bigger is always better, I’ve been running the stock front brakes on my El Camino for the last 8 years/85,000 miles and they are adequate and I have no inclination to change them.

Front springs will likely need to be upgraded, but that will have to be done based on what the front end weight is when you get everything pretty much finished up and your preference for “feel”.

Good luck with the swap.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordillac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 16, 2019
Here is the thread on the Blazer front brake upgrade....
I scored a 85 442 frame that will be delivered to me in 3 or 4 weeks and the car will be going to the fab shop the first week of January. I will definitely be doing the Blazer brake swap. There won't be much to update for a while but please keep the suggestions coming. Curt in Arizona...

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor