Frame body mount holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I’m sure this has been asked but there is some sort of locking nut welded inside the chassis for the position like 3 and 4 body mounts? I am trying to remove them on my 80 and broke the passengers sides and they fell out thank god but the drivers side are just spinning... anybody know what needs to be repaired. I see there is a body mount kit but it looks like it’s for the trunk only
Your cage nuts in those locations are toast. It’s unfortunate but very common. You can buy new cage nuts and weld them in. To do so you will need to access them from the top.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For my Regal I just made my own cage nuts out of 1/4" Uni Strut washers and welded whatever size nut I needed on top and then welded in short angle iron pieces to contain them, I was never a fan of the thin sheet metal containment on the factory cage nuts,
1620474756623.png

Last edited:

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012
Your cage nuts in those locations are toast. It’s unfortunate but very common. You can buy new cage nuts and weld them in. To do so you will need to access them from the top.

Thanks, i was assuming so... every time I say hey something is in good shape I find something else to fix. Do ppl always cut from the top because to get the locking nut in the right place u have to test fit with the bushing on? Could I not do the repair with the frame lifted and cutiing it out from below and just having the one weld? Or to treat the rust inside the frame in that area is the reason for the floor cut? If either I guess make the cut now and cut out the caged nuts and repair. I think I’m gonna go cheap and buy the bolts and weld em to some 18 gauge and weld those patches in.

Last edited:

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012
For my Regal I just made my own cage nuts out of 1/4" Uni Strut washers and welded whatever size nut I needed on top and then welded in short angle iron pieces to contain them, I was never a fan of the thin sheet metal containment on the factory cage nuts,
View attachment 174931
Did you cut from the top as well or is it possible to make the repair in less cuts and welding? I was hoping to get around cutting through the floor... I haven’t found much on the topic but what I have seen everyone goes through the floor though so I pretty much already have my answer smh.

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012
Thanks, i was assuming so... every time I say hey something is in good shape I find something else to fix. Do ppl always cut from the top because to get the locking nut in the right place u have to test fit with the bushing on? Could I not do the repair with the frame lifted and cutiing it out from below and just having the one weld? Or to treat the rust inside the frame in that area is the reason for the floor cut? If either I guess make the cut now and cut out the caged nuts and repair. I think I’m gonna go cheap and buy the bolts and weld em to some 18 gauge and weld those patches in.
Ok I saw the floating caged comment and I’m on a time crunch but I do want it done close to factory so thanks a ton. When u install those are the weld points only the tab areas?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
offOk I saw the floating caged comment and I’m on a time crunch but I do want it done close to factory so thanks a ton. When u install those are the weld points only the tab areas?
I understand factory correctness, but no one is ever going to see your fix unless they change the body bushing or do a frame off resto on your car.

Very similar to what 565 mentioned, I use a piece of 3/4 or 1" flat stock, drill a 1/2" hole in it, then weld a nut onto it. A piece of flat stock 3-4" long is plenty long enough to engage the frame rail and still short enough to fit through the bushing hole. It can be a little troublesome to get the bolt started if you are unaware of what's in there, but after that it's 1/2 impact work to tighten and loosen.

Never seize is your friend on this particular job.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I understand factory correctness, but no one is ever going to see your fix unless they change the body bushing or do a frame off resto on your car.

Very similar to what 565 mentioned, I use a piece of 3/4 or 1" flat stock, drill a 1/2" hole in it, then weld a nut onto it. A piece of flat stock 3-4" long is plenty long enough to engage the frame rail and still short enough to fit through the bushing hole. It can be a little troublesome to get the bolt started if you are unaware of what's in there, but after that it's 1/2 impact work to tighten and loosen.

Never seize is your friend in any particular job on the planet...;)
The A Team 80S GIF

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you cut from the top as well or is it possible to make the repair in less cuts and welding? I was hoping to get around cutting through the floor... I haven’t found much on the topic but what I have seen everyone goes through the floor though so I pretty much already have my answer smh.
If you are doing a cage nut repair you have to access it from the top, I use my plasma cutter to cut a flap that I can weld it shut when I am done.
Chances are there might also be some rust you might have to clean up in this area as well

• Agree

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012

Never seize is your friend on this particular job.
So I was assuming I welded it into the floor with the nut welded above the bolt hole. I cut the floor open today and it was such a rusted mess I couldn’t grasp what had been there to try to recreate it smh. Anyone have a picture at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor