Frame extension install + G-force crossmember

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I finally got around to installing my frame extension and cross member today. This is for the TH400 or 200-4R cross member on the pre-'83 G-bodies. The extension and cross member both came with bolts, washers and nylon lock nuts. It's not terribly difficult but I figured I'd do a quick write up if anyone else is planning to do it. If you can operate a drill you can figure it out. :lol:

First thing I did was a quick mock up to make sure everything would line up once the holes were drilled.

Here's the extension in place before drilling

The two holes closest to the outside of the frame rail will be center punched to mark the drilling points

Frame after drilling. I suggest using a few smaller pilot bits and some cutting oil to prevent burning up your bits

Here's the extension in place with the existing pilot holes. These will need to be drilled out to 1/2" as well.

Bolted in place...I anti-seize everything!

If you did everything correctly, everything will bolt right in place

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Good info...nice work!

Are all the parts G-Force? We will be tackling this on my son's Malibu this winter.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Thanks! And yes they are. I actually bought the cross member from Summit but it is a g-force cross member.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thanks for the writeup. This is on my winter to-do list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor