frame interchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
I searched some but didn't find the answer I was looking for or I just overlooked it...will say a 4dr malibu, Lemans etc g body frame work on a 2dr g body malibu, Lemans from 78-80 ? Thanks

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I searched some but didn't find the answer I was looking for or I just overlooked it...will say a 4dr malibu, Lemans etc g body frame work on a 2dr g body malibu, Lemans from 78-80 ? Thanks
As far as I know yes I believe Monte Carlo is longer in front tho

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Thanks. Just talking 78-80 g bodies. Still hold true mr clutch? 4dr to 2 dr?
As far as I know I've never done it but with all I have done and all I've seen or read it should be the same I would just take some measurements to make shore besides that way you can make shore the Donner is straight

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
As far as I know yes I believe Monte Carlo is longer in front tho
Monte Carlo frame is the same as the others.

The only difference is the El Camino and the Wagon frames being longer in the rear, I believe. In 85ish the 200-4R overdrive transmission was made available so the frames had the driver side cross member frame extension on them to compensate for the longer transmission that pushed the crossmember farther back. Thats really the only difference. I have an 82 Regal frame under my 87 Monte Carlo SS aerocoupe.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
No offense to you on a personal level 83, but your post contains some of the same inaccuracies that keep being repeated.

In Malibu world:
Wagons, sedans and coupes all are the same length. El Camino (Caballero) by virtue of it's longer wheelbase, is longer.

Coupes and sedans use the same frame, same mounts, direct swap. Wagons will interchange with these IF the rear mounts are relocated to address the differences in fuel tank/spare tire provisions.

Regals, Cutlasses, GPs, Montes are longer in front, I recently posted pictures of the difference.

I have some literature here that I could provide GM part #s for the frames through 1981, and I think I have the later stuff packed away.....if we wanted to make a sticky I would be happy to compile it

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
To answer the original question, the Lemans/Grand Lemans/Grand Am carry the same part numbers as the Malibu version for the frame assembly. There are some minor differences regarding park brake cable type and engine mounts when using some later frames on early cars...this is noted in the GM parts books

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Thanks for all the replies guys. Messed up frame on friends late 78 mc. Trying to help find a fairly direct bolt in. I think I made some confusion with original question. Meant to type would the 4dr frame go under 2dr monte. Sorry guys. Again thanks for the info that has been provided.

Reactions: 2 users

WizardCum

n00b
Apr 18, 2016
Omaha, Ne
No offense to you on a personal level 83, but your post contains some of the same inaccuracies that keep being repeated.

In Malibu world:
Wagons, sedans and coupes all are the same length. El Camino (Caballero) by virtue of it's longer wheelbase, is longer.

Coupes and sedans use the same frame, same mounts, direct swap. Wagons will interchange with these IF the rear mounts are relocated to address the differences in fuel tank/spare tire provisions.

Regals, Cutlasses, GPs, Montes are longer in front, I recently posted pictures of the difference.

I have some literature here that I could provide GM part #s for the frames through 1981, and I think I have the later stuff packed away.....if we wanted to make a sticky I would be happy to compile it
Do you know much one has to relocate the rear frame mounts and what the process is in doing so? I'm thinking about getting an LS swapped cutlass wagon but I'd like to put a coupe shell on the frame if feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor