frame interchanges

Status
Not open for further replies.

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
I'm sure this has been covered on this forum before but I couldn't find a good solid answer using the search function.My question is could a person use an 84 4 door cutlass frame for a 85 2 door cutlass body ? I have read numerous times that a g-body frame is the same unless its an el-camino but is there any relocation of mount points or anything of that nature?

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
username said:
I'm sure this has been covered on this forum before but I couldn't find a good solid answer using the search function.My question is could a person use an 84 4 door cutlass frame for a 85 2 door cutlass body ? I have read numerous times that a g-body frame is the same unless its an el-camino but is there any relocation of mount points or anything of that nature?

should be a straight swap for you. i highly doubt mounting locations are different.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i would think the 4 door frame would be longer in the middle than the 2 door, but dont quote me on that. i know the elky frame is like that, longer in the middle, but i dont know about 4 doors or wagons.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Of course the Elky frames are different. But all other frames are the same, except the front frame horns differ on some.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Yes, the coupe and sedan frames are the same. Same wheelbase.

The only possible difference could be the length of the front frame horn between the core support and the bumper shock mount, which can be resolved by compressing the bumper shocks, or spacing them out accordingly.

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
Thanks for the response I found a 4 door cutlass here locally that the guy said I could have as soon as he pulls the engine and trans out and I thought that would be nice to have another frame to box in and tuck the rear.If anyone on here that wants any 4 door body parts off a 84 cutlass let me know as I will have no use for them and if someone is willing to come pick them up the can have them.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
As noted above, 2dr and 4dr frames should interchange within the same year ranges. Frames from before the 200-4R was used will not have the mounting location features for the crossmember for that trans, but you can get the aftermarket frame extension. The wagons use the same 108" wheelbase but the rear body mounts are different. Of course the ElCo uses a 119" wheelbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor