Frame Rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppajac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2022
Hello All,

New to the forum and the Gbody scene at that. I recently purchased a 1983 Malibu wagon that I have been working on. So far I have completely rebuilt the front end, new SBC 350 and trans, and installed a Ford 9" with 31 spline axles, well because you never know. I've lowered the front and back a little over 2" with new tires and older Nova rims. I love the car and the looks it gets now and still have a long way to go till complete.

My issue, I am in the process of narrowing and tucking the rear bumper when I noticed the rear driver's side frame rail is all but gone. I have searched ALOT, found an older thread where someone was making the frame rails but they have since gone out of business, emailed him anyway. My question is, will any other GBody rail work? Is there a company/person that might make them? What suggestions might you guys/galas have?

Thanks,
Poppa

Attachments

• Malibu when bought.jpg
    Malibu when bought.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Malibu lowered.jpg
    Malibu lowered.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Poppajac,
It's always a delight to see another wagon join our ranks. Thanks for sharing the pics. What are your plans for it? The body looks to be in good shape.
Btw, I dig the wheels. Are those Salt Flat wheels? Nice choice.

Poppajac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2022
Welcome aboard Poppajac,
It's always a delight to see another wagon join our ranks. Thanks for sharing the pics. What are your plans for it? The body looks to be in good shape.
Btw, I dig the wheels. Are those Salt Flat wheels? Nice choice.
I want to fix the outside rust and clear coat it and drive it like it is for the outside. My wife said if it stays in the driveway it will be painted. so it might have to be painted at some point but im going to hold her off as long as I can.

I'm just going to drive it to cruise ins and just enjoy it. Right now I'm just happy to tinker with it.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I want to fix the outside rust and clear coat it and drive it like it is for the outside. My wife said if it stays in the driveway it will be painted. so it might have to be painted at some point but im going to hold her off as long as I can.

I'm just going to drive it to cruise ins and just enjoy it. Right now I'm just happy to tinker with it.
I think the car looks cool just the way it is. You have the right idea, drive it and enjoy it as is. I'm sure it still attracts attention the way she sits.

Poppajac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2022
Repro frame rails

I just went to the site and the site shows they will not fit a 83 Malibu but I also know that a lot of the parts are interchangeable. Do you happen to know if the frame rails are different for a wagon?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I just went to the site and the site shows they will not fit a 83 Malibu but I also know that a lot of the parts are interchangeable. Do you happen to know if the frame rails are different for a wagon?
I believe the wagon rear frame rails differ than any other G-body models. If someone can post a picture of them side by side, that would be helpful.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I believe the wagon rear frame rails differ than any other G-body models. If someone can post a picture of them side by side, that would be helpful.
I think this is what you are looking for Jack.
This was copied from Conrad Lozier's site years ago.
El Camino rails are on the left, Coupe and sedan rails in the center, Wagon rails on the right. Also a picture of the replacment rails Mr. Lozier was producing.
I knew a few people who purchased these parts and loved the ease of installation and quality of product.

3originalsetelcacarsta.jpg 3setelcarsta.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think this is what you are looking for Jack.
This was copied from Conrad Lozier's site years ago.
El Camino rails are on the left, Coupe and sedan rails in the center, Wagon rails on the right. Also a picture of the replacment rails Mr. Lozier was producing.
I knew a few people who purchased these parts and loved the ease of installation and quality of product.

View attachment 212423 View attachment 212424
Thank you, Bob,
Pictures of Conrad's frame rails are what came to mind. Most guys that have used them over the years were very satisfied with the quality and fit of Conrad's rails. Also the fact that he was the only one reproducing them back then. There was an absolute need for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor