DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Finally put on the emblems:
004_zps53aa9673.jpg

It's from an Escalade grille IIRC.
006-12_zpsf1a85b51.jpg

On the Kelvinator, I tried doing a wrap with some suede. Not sure I'm in love with it but it looks okay and is something a little different.
005_zps849fa390.jpg

The door handle will need some repair before I wrap it. A previous owner kind of butchered it in an attempt to put it back together. It's pretty much the only thing left to do.
007-15_zps3329e241.jpg

J3

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2009
East TX
Wow, those came out great. I want to find an old fridge and do this one day... Both look really slick, although I'm partial to the black Frigidaire - that Cadillac emblem fits the style perfectly. Looks exactly like the one on my trucks grille. :lol:

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Thanks guys. I really should just make the time to finish them.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Finally got around to fixing the handle on the on the Kelvinator. Used Automix and a couple nails inside the cavity to make it one piece again. Since it still had the holes I wrapped it again. I double wrapped every 7th loop to give it a uniform finger relief look. Came out alright, I guess.

Then I was finally able to put it all back together. Only thing left to do is get the door pinstriped and figure out a spot for it to live.

Got the Frigidaire moved upstairs and put it into party duty last night. Kept everything nice and cold.

Plenty of Brawndo left but not sure where all the beer went :wink: .

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
Nice to see it's getting put to good use. I really like what you have done with them.

I had a friend of mine offer me a small refrig a week ago and I had a little time so I turned it into another "safe" place to keep my beer.

I marked this one as a Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in a nod to my Grandfather who was a guard on the CB&Q in 1920-21. I had the local plaque shop make up the brass warning sign that’s below the dial. It’s a smaller copy of the sign that still hangs in the CB&Q Depot (now a museum) in my home town.

Anyway I thought a few of you might get a kick out of this.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
The dials are actually magnetic kitchen timers and I found them on E Bay. Just type in magnetic safe timer.

Here's a link to some that are currently up for auction. I usually pull the knob off the base then attach the base to the refrigerator with a couple of small sheet metal screws (so it doesn't slide around or walk off) then slide the knob back on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RSVP-Magnet ... 1949wt_758

I've used the black hammer tone paint on the two of these I've done and it gives a really nice looking finish.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Well, after moving them around a couple more times, they finally settled again. The green one is now upstairs in the shop. The Caddy Frigidaire is currently serving as the main fridge in the house. The old double door went out in the garage to serve as overflow. It;s amazing how a smaller fridge that doesn't protrude past the counter and is about 4" shorter makes the dinky, narrow, galley kitchen seem much larger. It even lets more light into the family room. Been in service since the day after Thanksgiving and seems to be running like a champ. I do miss the ice dispenser though.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Those are some stylin' fridges. Very nicely done. They didn't look as good when they were new. :wink:
My folks had a '54 GE for many years, but it got kicked to the curb when they got a newer model. It's too bad because that sucker was still in working order, and the new Amana was a piece o'sh*t compared to this old bullet proof fridge.
My dad brush painted it with marine enamel and it looked good for many years. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Wish I still had it today.

BTW, I love the Caddy emblem and wreath on there...nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor