from drums to disc brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lq4gp

n00b
Feb 18, 2012
Lincoln, Ne
Speedway sells a conversion kit for the rear axle, although if you plan on sticking with your stock 10.5 rotors up front it looks kinda goofy as the kit sells you 11 5/8 rotors, the same rotors off of camaros. The way I went about it, as I am on a budget, was I bought the bracket kit and modified them so I could run 10.5 rotors, the same rotors used on a 79ish olds toronado. I also used toronado e-brake calipers. If you go this route u will have to mill your axle hubs down slightly as the toronado rotors run on a slightly smaller hub. It wasn't a big deal for me as my car was completely apart anyways, but if your car is together, sometimes the cheapest route isn't the easiest route. Do alot of people run into clearance issues between the caliper and the frame? I am happy with my conversion... but i am running into a clearance issue between the e-brake arm and the frame and am not sure how I feel about notching the fram and replating it as it is already pretty narrow the way it is. Any input would be appreciated.

bigalturk1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2012
Florida
The thing that makes some kits expensive are the emergency (Parking) brakes.
Some (Street-Rod) companies make them with or w/o the Emergency brake.
Instead of having the E/brake incorporated into the rear brakes, they place the E/brake on the drive shaft flange, which I think is a good Idea and will make the car actually stop in an emergency!
Have you ever tried to stop your car with the emergency brake? Most E/brakes will hold the car from moving, but won't stop it while "In" movement... Plus they're easier to work on!

Geed_up_442

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
i just did the 4th gen camaro swap from flynbye a few weeks ago. Being someone who is still learning and my first time ever taking a rear end out a car and opening it up the swap was easy. I was able to retain parking brake and he even does a mod to the proportioning valve to make it disc to disc. Once i drive it a little i'll decide then if i need to swap the master-cylinder or not. But you don't have to drop the entire rear end and ed is very helpfull if you go flynbye.com route. I've never heard of anyone having to notch the frame for a disc brake swap but go for what you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor