from power to manual stering conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Actually, I wonder if the OP just wants to feel the road as opposed to the effortless video game like steering in the stock gbodys. I put a manual box on my 81 Malibu years ago. Drove it around the block twice and pulled it back in the garage and put the power box back on it. I would recommend quick ratio heavy road feel box such as the Monte Carlo SS had.
You could use a third gen f- body box .( Trans Am, Z28). Also Jeep Cherokees had good boxes and are newer although you will need to put a gbody pitman arm on it.
And for you guys wanting to upgrade your steering box, these boxes use o-ring fittings. The earlier gbodys had flared fittings. I’ve found the best way to convert is to buy new o-ring lines. For the pump, just go to the junkyard and pull the
Line fitting on the back of an o-ring style pump. Simply remove the fitting from your original pump and replace it with the o-ring style fitting. Why buy adapters for thirty year lines?
timo22

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
So to use a jeep astro shafts I have to replace the 525 box I already have with the borgeson box

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor