Front clip swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

edrk213

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
hi does anyone know if there is a fibreglass front for a 78 Grand Am? and would a Malibu front fit it? Thanks!

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
There are no reproduction header/nose assemblies available for the 78-80 Grand Am.
The Malibu front clip would fit. You can't simply use the header since the Pontiac fenders and hood wouldn't line up correctly.
What is wrong with your current front clip?

edrk213

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
There are no reproduction header/nose assemblies available for the 78-80 Grand Am.
The Malibu front clip would fit. You can't simply use the header since the Pontiac fenders and hood wouldn't line up correctly.
What is wrong with your current front clip?
Yes I mean everything on the front maybe even the doors. It's just that there is way more fibreglass for Malibu as I'm only interested in dropping weight. This is on a race only car. Thanks!

edrk213

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
This is what I would put on it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 696

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Damnit this is a first!!! If that grand am clip is in good condition,you might want to take a vacation down to the States as I know ALOT of folks would give you top dollar for the grandam clip;) probably enough for all your fiberglass stuff as well as extra money for the most magical place on earth(lol,its in Buena park.)I know I'd gladly swap you one of my Malibu front clips for your grandam clip in a heartbeat!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you can't find the fiberglass body parts you strip weight by removing the sheet metal reinforcement on the hood, ypu'll need to remove the hood hinges and have a 4 pin set up, remove the inner fenders and replace the bumper. With that removed you won't find much weight savings with fiberglass

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I would personally keep the Grand Am all Pontiac. If you want to build a racecar, why not just find a Malibu or Lemans roller and keep the Grand Am intact. That's just my opinion. These cars are relatively rare...just not a whole lot of them out there.
I've always liked the thought putting a GA clip on my Malibu wagon.

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Unsure of how much of a race car this is going to be but You would have quite a bit money tied up in what you want to do. You can chop a lot of weight off of what you have and buy a little more power, your only gaining about a tenth/ 100 lbs. On the other hand if your building a tube chassis car forget I responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor