Front Coil Spring Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz02

n00b
Jul 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Of the 3 types pictured above, any opinions on which one is easiest to use, safest etc? I too am curious about the "Mercedes" spring compressor shoedoos posted a link to. I'm looking to do the same job myself as soon as I get the budget for parts.

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have only used this style one while changing springs in car, as far as safety I always chain the spring to the frame to keep it from coming out.

1556851138194.png

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I used the same one Turna used on both of my cars and it worked really well. You just need to put the hooks down low and I put a couple of washers under the nut so it would turn easy. Remember to put the rubber isolators on first. Youre going t need to pull the springs way up into the frame pocket so take your time and I wouldnt use an impact.

Reactions: 1 user

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Of the 3 types pictured above, any opinions on which one is easiest to use, safest etc? I too am curious about the "Mercedes" spring compressor shoedoos posted a link to. I'm looking to do the same job myself as soon as I get the budget for parts.
I have had that spring compressor for over 30 year's and removed many front springs on cars and trucks with no issues and felt safe using it. Its made by OTC model # 7045b, only drawback its exspencive compared to other spring compressors.
Mercedes spring compressor won't work on our cars or older GM rwd cars.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I used a Moog compressor when I did my front end,heres a picture;

It worked real good.
Guy

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Thanks for the pics and links...I am installing on a bare frame and do plan on chaining the springs in for safety but still didn't see the pic someone sent...will let you know how it turns out...probably next weekend now just need to decide if I need to cut a coil off...they are cheap 5660 Moogs

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for the pics and links...I am installing on a bare frame and do plan on chaining the springs in for safety but still didn't see the pic someone sent...will let you know how it turns out...probably next weekend now just need to decide if I need to cut a coil off...they are cheap 5660 Moogs

the 5660 will drop 1" for each 1/4 coil cut. Cutting a spring will raise the spring rate and you can figure out the new spring rate with this is you do cut the spring

https://www.thespringstore.com/spring-rate-calculator.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
I've got a brand new (never been used) OTC 7045B front coil spring compressor/remover (can be used in our G Body's) for sale if anyone is interested.
I'm located in Mississauga, Canada, so shipping isn't gonna be cheap!

OTC 7045B.jpg

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've got a brand new (never been used) OTC 7045B front coil spring compressor/remover (designed to be used in our G Body's) for sale if anyone is interested.
I'm located in Mississauga, Canada, so shipping isn't gonna be cheap!

View attachment 112758

on amazon.ca that tool is over $300 and it doesn't say the tool was made for G bodies specific

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor