front spring questions 84 cutlass supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
So before i sold my car 18 years ago I had put coil springs in it rated for a big block since that was my future plans. drove it with a sbc for a few months yanked engine and sold it. it sat all these years with no engine in it and now that ive got it back ive put a chevy 350 back in it and am leaving it at that. with a cast iron small block in it, radiator full, everything on but the hood , the chrome wheelwell moulding is at 28 inches off the ground measured in the center and looks like its got a lift kit on it. i have the air shock on rear aired up to max, to be level. My finances arent up to buying new stuff at the moment since the wife lost her job so want to get opinions on cutting these springs to save some money.
Since these are not old worn out factory springs and but I dont know what spring number they are after all these years. would any one see an issue with cutting these to at least get it down to stock height or preferably lower. ive read that cutting them will increase the spring rate so if i can get down with a firm ride that would be fine with me.
What would be the factory height to shoot for measured at the center of the wheelwell arch?
And is there a max amount of coils that can be cut from a spring?
Thanks

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Probably not the answer your looking for but with unknown springs your best bet is trial and error. I would only go a quarter of a coil at a time and see what it does.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I'm fine with trial and error. But I need to know what a baseline measurement from the ground to the wheel well chrome lip is at stock height so I know when I've hit that level. And from there I can see if I need to go lower

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor