Front suspension????

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Thanx, guess I’ll stick with the big one I have.
some people got all the troubles...
now to the suspension issue,
that bigger bar you currently have paired with a set of good springs up front is a really good start for a street car.i can't justify that kind of money on a bar,be it hollow or solid for what most of us (myself included)are doing.it's a sway bar,it's dumb as dirt.if you were talking about spending money on shocks i'd say sure as they're the brains of the operation.considering you've already got the larger of the few that GM made.that 1.25'' is very close to the 36-38 mm f body bar,save your money,the difference will be a negligible amount.some people crow less unsprung weight the better etc etc it's true but again street car,budget/smiles per gallon.i built my entire front suspension around that Monte SS 1.25" bar.it's a proven hunk of steel that you currently own. food for thought.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I guess what my car came with was the F-41 suspension. The rear bar I took off is about 3/4s of an inch thick. I replaced it with the UMI 1 inch bar. Back when I first started this project I bought a set of F-41 sway bars from Longroof not knowing thats what was already on my Elco. Now I have 2 ,3/4 inch rear bars and 1 , 1 1/4 inch front bar that I don’t need.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Best bang for the front are tall ball joints and A arms designed for them, plus front brake upgrades.

This is a good suggestion.
Here is the kit that I bought from SC&C several years ago;
The improvement in handling was huge !!
I got the greaseable Delrin bushings with mine.
Heres a blog I made on my suspension and chassis upgrades if you're interested;
Guy

Reactions: 1 users

Malibu ST

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2019
Call Savitske Classics and Custom. SC&C. They will talk suspension design and setup for free and not have a sales pitch. I will be in stalling the Stage 2 kit this winter in my Malibu.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Call Savitske Classics and Custom. SC&C. They will talk suspension design and setup for free and not have a sales pitch. I will be in stalling the Stage 2 kit this winter in my Malibu.
Yes Mark's a wealth of knowledge,that book's a good read too.it all boils down to what you're doing with the car realistically and what you're looking to spend.i don't care for the turnbuckle and lack of bumpstop that the spc's offer there's a few companies out there that have done homework with these cars that offer good upgrades.

Reactions: 1 user

Malibu ST

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 19, 2019
You're correct, several ways to skin cat. Get as much info as you can and make your own decisions

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I guess what my car came with was the F-41 suspension. The rear bar I took off is about 3/4s of an inch thick. I replaced it with the UMI 1 inch bar. Back when I first started this project I bought a set of F-41 sway bars from Longroof not knowing thats what was already on my Elco. Now I have 2 ,3/4 inch rear bars and 1 , 1 1/4 inch front bar that I don’t need.
I could use a rear bar. Whurr ya at?

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Thanx to everybody so far. I know what I’m doing about the sway bar. Now onto the tubular control arms. What’s the opinion on PSTs products?They’re one set with stock ball joints is $899.00. $300.00 less than UMIs which have the 1/2 inch upper ball joints that I do want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor