Front tire angle concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Leaned back would be a good thing. Bit seeing how these cars probably got spec's at 1 degree of caster also an indication of something wrong. I don't see how one could put a spindle on the wrong side, at least not until they went to hook up a tie rod.
That's what I meant by "visible". I was only able to get about 3.5⁰ with factory parts. That's damned near "vertical". 😉

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
Photos left tire 1/4 inch. Right tire 1/2 inch difference from top of tire to bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 319
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 137

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
No weight on front suspension? Engine installed?

That looks normal for me with suspension at full droop.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
That is the perfect application for a 1" taller upper ball joint. The LCA is down at a big time angle. On my Lowered T-type, the Bump stop is less than 1/2" off the frame. When you jack a G-body up, this is what happens without Tall ball joints. With a Driver in the car it will even out a little.

• Agree

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
No weight on front suspension? Engine installed?

That looks normal for me with suspension at full droop.
This has full dressed engine in it and is all the way down on the rack. The jack is not touching car at all. Would too strong a spring do this?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
This has full dressed engine in it and is all the way down on the rack. The jack is not touching car at all. Would too strong a spring do this?

The lower control arm looks like it's pointing really far down. Did you tighten the LCA bolts when the front suspension was at full droop? Maybe try loosening the bolts and letting it settle.

It looks way above normal ride height.

It could have to stiff of spring.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
in a perfect world, your front tire camber should be leaned out .5 degrees at the top of the tire. have you rolled the car back and forward to relieve the preload on the the front suspension that occurs after jacking the car up?
were the tires angled like this before you worked on the car?
what else did you change? was it only the drop spindles or were there other items changed also? new springs, control arms? etc?

if you only changed the spindles and have checked every thing else we have suggested and you removed all the shims in the upper control arm, i would have to say you have the wrong spindles.

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
in a perfect world, your front tire camber should be leaned out .5 degrees at the top of the tire. have you rolled the car back and forward to relieve the preload on the the front suspension that occurs after jacking the car up?
were the tires angled like this before you worked on the car?
what else did you change? was it only the drop spindles or were there other items changed also? new springs, control arms? etc?

if you only changed the spindles and have checked every thing else we have suggested and you removed all the shims in the upper control arm, i would have to say you have the wrong spindles.
They did this before I changed the spindles. Everything else same.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
They did this before I changed the spindles. Everything else same.
oh, i mis-understood the original post. i thought this all started after putting the drop spindles in.
as others have pointed out, the lower control arms look like there point down at the wheels. normally they will sit fairly flat and even with the engine cross member.
what do you know about the front springs, are they original? have you or anyone else replaced them? is this one of your v6 cars or does it have a v8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor