fuel cell or no fuel cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
i acquired a fuel cell,pump,fuel filter,lines,regulator,and gauge from a previous car i bought off my friend.he ran the fuel cell for years with the motor that is going into my car now.i was just wondering if i really need all that stuff in my new build.the car runs mid 12's and I'm pretty sure i can get a mechanical fuel pump to do the same thing.some info would be helpful.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The stock tank and a mechanical pump should have no problem going into the mid-12's.

Installing a cell and running the appropriate lines and wiring an electric pump is all unnecessary.

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
since this is the first time i'm dealing wiyh a chevy motor and there is so mant parts for chevy,what is a good pump 350 10 1/2 motor with 456 gears?anyone want a fuel cell set up it just went up for sale.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I'd install a GN fuel tank, Walbro pump, etc. before I'd go with a fuel cell. I know a Walbro 340 pump and 3/8" lines can feed a 640hp engine.
It's also a lot quieter and would run cooler as well.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I just put a sump in my new tank and ran a 3/8 line right up to the edelbrock performer mechanical fuel pump......These pumps can handle a 600 hp motor............

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
krazykyle said:
i acquired a fuel cell,pump,fuel filter,lines,regulator,and gauge from a previous car i bought off my friend.he ran the fuel cell for years with the motor that is going into my car now.i was just wondering if i really need all that stuff in my new build.the car runs mid 12's and I'm pretty sure i can get a mechanical fuel pump to do the same thing.some info would be helpful.
ur choice. i was having this dilema to. i had the cell and pump and lines just sitting around. but since i only plan to go into the 11.80s with my car i chose not to. mainly cuz i would like to take my car to the lake or even the coast in summer and there goes all my trunk space if i put in the fuel cell. since u have a fuel system in ur car already that supports 12s. and can support quicker times with little mods. u dont need it. the ? is do u want it. if u want it go for it. looks cool and will prob save a few pounds.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
any negatives about installing fuell cell in a G body .....beside loosing space in trunck ?

id put it under the car with straps !

I installed a 2nd gen LT1 in my cutlass 84 with a carburator for now ,but plan to put it fuel injection this winter , and the GN fuel tank+ pump+ sending unit is costing a lot $$$$.... ( the GN being the only G body with fuel inj.)

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
bigdan said:
any negatives about installing fuell cell in a G body .....beside loosing space in trunck ?

id put it under the car with straps !

I installed a 2nd gen LT1 in my cutlass 84 with a carburator for now ,but plan to put it fuel injection this winter , and the GN fuel tank+ pump+ sending unit is costing a lot $$$$.... ( the GN being the only G body with fuel inj.)

Don't forget about the TBI 4.3 Monte's. Of course the pump would need to be upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor