Fuel Filter Nut...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Bonnewagon said:
Glass filter and rubber lines are a fire hazard. I would just replace the hard line with a new one.

Ha, mine's been that way for years. :lol:

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
don't the glass filters tend to have nipples on either end? How else do you attach them. I put an extra inline filter into my factory rubber fuel line .... the one that runs to the fuel pump.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Glass hasn't been used since the 40's... for that exact reason, it's EXTREMELY dangerous!

The more common, but also not the safest these days is the clear plastic filters. I personally don't trust them either.

Short lengths of rubber hose are fine, as long as the hard line that they're attached to have been properly flared to help them seal.

And it's not that the Regal section doesn't get as much traffic, it's that sometimes you need to wait more than an hour for the right people to see your post. It's that way in every section of the board. Patience is a virtue. If your thread was responseless a day or two later, then you can start bumping it and wondering where everybody is.

JAYO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2009
Blake442 said:
And it's not that the Regal section doesn't get as much traffic, it's that sometimes you need to wait more than an hour for the right people to see your post. It's that way in every section of the board. Patience is a virtue. If your thread was responseless a day or two later, then you can start bumping it and wondering where everybody is.

Oh I’m patient no problem, I’m just use to forums where you post an issue and somebody responds in a quicker manner. As you can see I didn’t bother to bump the thread, I simply replied when someone else did. Compared to the Monte section this side is a little slow.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If you must have an external filter AC Delco offers a nice fat steel one, no chance of breaking and will last a long time before needing changed. As for rubber fuel lines notice where the factory used them, where the frame line jumps to the fuel pump, and where the gas tank jumps to the body line. None of these locations are around ignition or exhaust points and usually any leak drips harmlessly to the ground. Now consider where your glass filter and rubber lines are. On top of a hot motor not far from the distributor. Now let me tell you a true story. My Wife's Aunt had a 73' Duster,slant 6, and she parked it in front of my house on a hot summer day. She wasn't happy with the park so she started it up again to correct. It was so hot the motor had hot-soaked and backfired, running backwards for an instant, shifting the motor on it's mounts in the other direction. That's all it took to snap the rubber fuel pump line that was right next to the distributor. The line broke, dousing the distributor with gas, and the whole thing erupted in flames. Thank God a neighbor saw this and came running with an extinguisher. Still, everything plastic or rubber under the hood was destroyed. And this was how the factory built it. Anyway, I know guys do this all the time and are lucky, but I wouldn't.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Old air cooled VWs are notorious for catching on fire and 9 times out of 10 it is due to a rubber fuel line coming loose from one of those plastic filters and spraying fuel on the distributor. Be smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor