Status
Not open for further replies.

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
hi all,

I have a1985 cutlass 442.
I wasn't to replace the sending unit and to do so I have to lower and remove the fuel tank.
can someone give me a step by step or send me thread on how to lower and remove the tank?
thanks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Recently did mine, twice. have a little gas in the tank as possible of course and get the back of the car as high as possible. It's easier to do this with 2 people. Plug the new sensor in to the wiring and test it to make sure it is working. I skipped that step and that's why I did mine twice. Remove the gas cap. and stuff in a rag so nothing gets dropped into the tank. Spray the bolts holding the strap in front of the tank with some penetrating oil. Don't use an impact to take the bolts out so you don't snap them or twist the anchor. I just use a floor jack with a piece of plywood attacked to it and put that under the tank. One you have the bolts our let the tank down until you can get to the connections to remove the lines. ( when I changed my gas lines I have it so the rubber hoses from the sender extend past the front of the tank so I can release the hoses before I drop the tank) . It might be a good idea to pick up new rubber lines so you can simply cut the old one to make the job of removing the tank easier. Once the lines are removed you can drop the tank. It has to move forward a little to get the filler tube to drop. Then you remove the ring holding the sender in place with a hammer and screw driver. Be careful when you are putting the new sender in that you have it centered and the o ring is in place. Put the rubber line on the new sender and don't forget to about hose clamps for the other side of the hose. I coated the sender unit with rust inhibitor and sprayed the body of the car that hidden by the tank with the rust inhibitor. When you are putting the tank back in make sure the wire and ground wire is hanging down the back side of the tank. Lift the tank until you can get the hoses connected. Butter the bolts with anti-seize before you put them back in and tighten them up. Plug the wire in and attach the ground wire. Put the car back down and have a beer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
Recently did mine, twice. have a little gas in the tank as possible of course and get the back of the car as high as possible. It's easier to do this with 2 people. Plug the new sensor in to the wiring and test ti to make sure it is working. I skipped that step and that's why I did mine twice. Remove the gas cap. and stuff in a rag so nothing gets dropped into the tank. Spray the bolts holding the strap in front of the tank with some penetrating oil. Don't use an impact to take the bolts out so you don't snap them or twist the anchor. I just use a floor jack with a piece of plywood attacked to it and put that under the tank. One you have the bolts our let the tank down until you can get to the connections to remove the lines. ( when I changed my gas lines I have it so the rubber hoses from the sender extend past the front of the tank so I can release the hoses before I drop the tank) . It might be a good idea to pick up new rubber lines so you can simply cut the old one to make the job of removing the tank easier. Once the lines are removed you can drop the tank. It has to move forward a little to get the filler tube to drop. Then you remove the ring holding the sender in place with a hammer and screw driver. Be careful when you are putting the new sender in that you have it centered and the o ring is in place. Put the rubber line on the new sender and don't forget to about hose clamps for the other side of the hose. I coated the sender unit with rust inhibitor and sprayed the body of the car that hidden by the tank with the rust inhibitor. When you are putting the tank back in make sure the wire and ground wire is hanging down the back side of the tank. Lift the tank until you can get the hoses connected. Butter the bolts with anti-seize before you put them back in and tighten them up. Plug the wire in and attach the ground wire. Put the car back down and have a beer.

thank you very much, I will keep all that in mind for Saturday morning when I plan on doing the job, i'll also buy a six pack today and keep it in the fridge till then, lol...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
glad you are getting some beer...haha

one other thing to do after the job is over, fill the tank up and a small container of gas to put in the trunk. Let gauge go to empty to make sure it's reading right. The gas container is in case the gauge doesn't read right.

Reactions: 2 users

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
glad you are getting some beer...haha

one other thing to do after the job is over, fill the tank up and a small container of gas to put in the trunk. Let gauge go to empty to make sure it's reading right. The gas container is in case the gauge doesn't read right.

cool, will do, and the gas container has been in my trunk for 9 years, lol that's when the sender stopped working.
I cant take it any longer, enough is enough..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor