Fuel gauge issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverRiff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2010
So I have had my 1987 Monte for a month or so, and drove it around here and there while I'm sprucing it up. I THOUGHT I was getting really good gas milage because according to the fuel gauge I have barely used a quarter of a tank of gas, but after calculating that I am in all likelihood not getting 65 mpg, I stopped to fill up today and it took me alittle over 17 gallons to top off. I think the tank holds around 20 or so? So yeah the gauge wasen't working. But then the weird thing was that when I got back in the car and started it up, the gauge went to full as it should. What's the deal? I can understand if it was bad, disconnected, and didn't work at all, but why would it go to full like that? Any ideas??

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you look at the tank strap on the rear of the tank on divers side you'll see the ground wire held in by a small bolt. Make sure that is properly secured and it has a good contact. In that area you'll also see a connector with a pinkish wire going to the tank. Make sure the connection is clean

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
It could possibly be your sending unit sticking

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Sounds about like mine. I fill it up once it goes to the half tank mark. It stays stuck on Full for days then drops. Thanks for the tip about the wiring. I will try that on mine this weekend.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Yea i agree, either a ground problem or just float getting hung up. I also believe that all the g-body tanks hold 18 gallons. I know the cutlass fuel tanks are.

SilverRiff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2010
Wow 18 gallons.... So I only had about half a gallon in there. Good thing I stopped and filled up! What kind of gas milage should I expect out of this tired little 6 cylinder?

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
SilverRiff said:
Wow 18 gallons.... So I only had about half a gallon in there. Good thing I stopped and filled up! What kind of gas milage should I expect out of this tired little 6 cylinder?

depends on your rear end and how well it is tuned/running but if i was going pretty easy on it i could get about 16 or 17 with a 2.41 mostly non highway driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor