Fuel System for Carb 408 sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Fuel system doesn't lay down in second gear and fix itself in high gear.

Less G forces in 3rd? Lot's of G's on launch into second then the fuel shortage hits and the pump catches back up by third? Just a theory.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Less G forces in 3rd? Lot's of G's on launch into second then the fuel shortage hits and the pump catches back up by third? Just a theory.
If you think that’s the case, then raise the float levels and see if it’s better.

How much fuel pressure are you running at idle?

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Mike & all; I used the OE return line & plumbed in a Mossoro regulating fuel log. It adjusts with various springs inserted into the check valve. As for you second 2nd gear problem, possibly the "G" force or small volume float bowl is not keep the main jets-rods covered during hard pull? That's one of the reasons many chose to run with Holley's? Ole' Bob. Ps; I ran 6-7 PIS at idle & 5-6 @ Full ON.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You could definitely run a TBI pump and regulate that down. A stock TBI pump should be making about 20psi give it take a pound or two.But you need a return style regulator

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Pushing the car through the air at high speed incurs more load than having gear multiplication through the trans at lower speed. You’re 1:1 in high gear pushing a brick at 110 mph.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
If I was going to do that, I'd just use the one they make for a GBody and not have to cut holes. It still doesn't solve the lower pressure pump for a carb issue. I might have to call them up.
Giving a call would be good idea. I looked at them this morning and other than the one screenshot I sent, all the others are 60 psi. This was true for the return and the non return style.

60 psi is the requirement for the sniper system, so could be why all the ones shown fit that requirement.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I would stick on the path your on. I was also thinking maybe 2nd gear issue, but that makes no sense. You have 5 to 6 psi and then falls to 2.5 under increase RPM??? Then it's a capacity problem.

Floats and needle/seat setups won't drop the pressure as experienced.

If any thing try change out the current mechanical pump with a new one and see if problem goes away.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
If you think that’s the case, then raise the float levels and see if it’s better.

How much fuel pressure are you running at idle?
Good idea, I'll try that. It's and Edelbrock 800 carb so 5psi. Also, my fuel pump is only supposed to put out 6psi according to Edelbrock so I might just bypass it and see what happens too.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Greetings Mike & all; I used the OE return line & plumbed in a Mossoro regulating fuel log. It adjusts with various springs inserted into the check valve. As for you second 2nd gear problem, possibly the "G" force or small volume float bowl is not keep the main jets-rods covered during hard pull? That's one of the reasons many chose to run with Holley's? Ole' Bob. Ps; I ran 6-7 PIS at idle & 5-6 @ Full ON.
Hey Bob, my car was a V6 from the factory and only has the feed line on the pass side and the vent line to the canister on the drivers side. I thought about using the vent line for a return, but then not sure how to vent the tank. And yes, everyone tries to talk me into a Holley. I finally picked up a really nice used 750 vacuum secondary unit and ran it last summer when I had the 327 in the car. It ran good. With the 327, (around 300hp), there was no diff in ET between the Holley and a 600cfm Edelbrock. I might be getting to the tipping point though. I'm going to double check float levels to the high side and install some high flow needle and seats that I have but never installed to help the Edelbrock. I spent a lot of time tuning it for driveability and WOT and it is pretty spot on so I hate to abandon it for the Holley and start over.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor