Fuel tank issue = I don't like it and need a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The factory tank in my 86' Regal would kick back even on the lowest pump setting and when I replaced it with a new Spectre Premium tank and sender a couple years ago I kept hearing about these tanks where doing the same thing so I added a remote vent since I don't have a vapor canister and my tank fills like any new car and kicks off when full.

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I recently installed the Dorman Fuel Tanks 576-354 from Summit. It is for a FI turbo regal.

I have only filled it up once so far. but i was able to fill it up with no splash back. I do fill on only 1 click though...
I was going to wait until reading every post here, but I think you may be right. I don't know if it is a myth or not, but I heard that using the first click is the most accurate as far as metering the fuel/price.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Here in California we have "vapor recovery" nozzles, so we don't have fuel spewing out, instead the nozzle turns off if you pump too fast and the pressure builds up.

I got the Dorman GN tank, but got the filler neck separate because I had to adjust the neck angle for my Malibu. Before I installed the neck I did this:

DSC1181A.JPG

I've had to slow down on occasion, apparently the stations can be inconsistent in how they set the pressure trip on the nozzles. Most of the time it's been good, though, and I can basically top it off as far as I want. Seems willing to fill a crazy amount. like past 17 gal when I had a couple to start. I've yet to see just how far it will go, I chicken out and stop before it stops itself (if it ever will, I don't really know). That's made it hard to track gas mileage, because I don't know if I've topped it off at the same level as the last fillup.

BTW, that's an "etch & prep" solution on the neck. I installed it with POR 15 Patch, which I then painted over. Seems to work well enough, but a mess. Don't know what I'd do if I ever do this again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor