G bodies in the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey! Thank's for reminding me, it's time to put the SNOW TIRES on!! This wagon never gets a break. I just made 3 trips hauling stockade fence sections on top and then just today I hauled away the old fencing in the cargo area. Damn I love these wagons!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
OK, I think I'm all set for winter!
adaa_zps6950b2ea.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
nice car but it must be hard to parallel park... :mrgreen:

when I drove a G body in the winter I had 4 winter tires on it, a few bags of sand in the trunk that that car would go anywhere. With the posi it would go places where a FWD wouldn't make it.....

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
I can't. I just can't.

In terms of body, frame, lack of rust, etc. I don't think I'm going to find another affordable G body like mine. Not with the amount of rain, snow, etc. And I *know* that I'm not meticulous about keeping it clean. Thus, it never sees rain nor snow.

Now, when my 84 Regal 4-door V6 was my daily driver, well, yeah, I drove it in the winter. But that was a less-than-10-year-old car at the time.

Plus, in rain or snow, I don't trust the idiots around me. I don't think I'm all that great of a driver, but I've seen the mayhem on the roads around here. My 7 year old son has even said, when I've suddenly had to avoid someone - "It's like they let any dummy have a license!"

On the other hand, I've been (somewhat nervously) using my 1987 Ford Crown Victoria Coupe (yep, an actual, last-year 2-door) as a daily driver for a few years now. I dread trying to find a door for it if anyone smacks me.

I don't know. I guess if I had a beater G-body, I'd do it. But even those seem to sometimes command money I wouldn't expect. Maybe if I get a 4-door V6 or small-V8 car for cheap enough.

But I admit it - I'm just scared to do it. I don't want to put these cars in higher risk scenarios as their numbers dwindle.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
for me the Gbody was always a source of cheap reliable transport. Used to pick up good running 4 door gbodies for less than $500 ( less if the three-oh-fried had a flat cam ) and the 4 door malibus were the most plentiful for cheap winter transport. Like GP said, 4 snow tires and a couple sand bags in the trunk and they were near unstoppable. Buddy of mine actually used to winter his Malibu over his 4wd jeep TJ because it handled it better LOL

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
My cutlass get's daily driven all year round here in CT. Awesome car in the snow with 2.14s out back. Never had snow tires though. Never a fan of sandbags, always had better luck stopping without them.

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
I drive mine as a DD in the Winter here in RI/MA. I have no problems getting around once I put on the snow tires. The car was originally Ziebarted 6 months after it was bought. I added Eastwoood's internal frame coating, and internal panel coating and that has kept the car solid.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
with all you guys driving in the winter then there should be a month set aside for you for G body of the month.....

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Oldsnowmobile, snow-mobile?

Fireturd took a sh*t, dead #1 cylinder and has spark, fuel, and valves are opening with good compression. #4 shares a coil and is firing so its not spark related. Engine for my newly purchased durango isnt back from the machine shop. Drive Turbo-Cutlass!

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
My Cutlass was an Oklahoma car still showed black on the frame if you scraped away the thick coat of orange dust. One Chicago winter was all it took for the frame to start looking rusty and little pieces of ice to cut up my Billet wheels - never again... I only drove it in the snow like 10 times and deteriorated rapidly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor