G body 8.5 or ford 9 inch

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Wellllll, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. For now the 8.5 is serving it's purpose.
Your LS twin turbo called and she said she wants a 9".

Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Most likely right! I would sell off the 8.5 before causing destruction to it as they are getting harder to find.
I did the same with my 7.5" with an Auburn carrier and 373 gears I had in my Monte, I sold it for what I had into it and before I blew it up.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you're making under 800 hp then the 8.5" is still the best option. It is designed for the G body and still cheaper than a 9". Add it all up and 9" rears cost a lot more than you think.

800HP is the limit of an 8.5? Someone forgot to tell mine :)

Reactions: 2 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I have only changed my gear once and it sure was nice bringing the 3rd member in a milk crate to DTS and having them change it for me.
In Ionia? I met one of the gear builders at the swap meet in Ionia this year, he lives just down the road from me

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
Isnt the 8.5 a lot lighter then a 9?

Ive been looking for an 8.5 for a while to put behind my 305 ho. I dont want to bog it down with a heavy rear and when I eventually upgrade it wont be anything past 3xx hp so id rather not have an unecessarily strong or heavy rear.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
My turbo 283 is backed with a ford 9inch and I never have to worry about it. Was one of the best decision I made instead of paying a premium price for a 8.5 then shelling out more to have it built to last. Only way to do a 8.5 is get a-body rear end for cheap then spend the extra money left from upgrades for proper wheels with the right backspacing.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Only way to do a 8.5 is get a-body rear end for cheap then spend the extra money left from upgrades for proper wheels with the right backspacing.

Well actually, that's not the only way. You can buy VIN 9 wrecks and G body parts for 30 years and have all the parts you'll ever need. :cool: Many on this site have.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Isnt the 8.5 a lot lighter then a 9?

Ive been looking for an 8.5 for a while to put behind my 305 ho. I dont want to bog it down with a heavy rear and when I eventually upgrade it wont be anything past 3xx hp so id rather not have an unecessarily strong or heavy rear.
Yes it is. And uses less power. My buddy was sick to his stomach when he saw how much power he lost on the chassis dyno with his 650hp 489 stroker. That helped me make the decision to keep my 8.5. Good gears, axles, and carrier and forget about it.

I don't buy the 9 inch hype when plenty of GN/big block guys are going stupid fast on 8.5 rears.

An all out sub 10 second car/truck? Yea I could see it. Anything else I would really have to come across a deal to change it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor