G Body Frame Modifications- looking for more info

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we raced a metric cutlass for years in circle track. We had a full cage with a hoop in the front. We had down bars 3 locations on each side in the front plus down tubes from the halo to the front rails. We had an 1100 lbs spring on the right side and the right front frame rail would still move about 3/16". If you want the frame to stop moving then you'll need to build one

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
rwolf15241,

I've been sneak peeking your build over on Pro-Touring (haven't joined up yet). I really like your "dare to be different" ideas! This has been a dismal year for me to get anything done to my El Camino. I hope this winter and next year will be different :roll: !

Doug

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Your vision is nice, but unless you are hitting the drag strip it's a bit overdone. Without any flex you might as well have just bought a Camaro or Firebird instead. Let's not forget they were made the same years as g-body cars and sold in similar numbers some years. If you overdo your suspension, you will feel like you screwed up and end up just taking some of those parts off and putting them on here / ebay for sale. I'd suggest removing a few items from your list and saving the money ahead of time. Eliminating frame flex is ok, but annihilating it entirely is poor judgement, especially if you live in a climate with ice in which case your 'dream suspension' with 0 flex will cause you to spin 3 times and smack into a tree the first time you drive in a snow storm... come on man

rwolf15241

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
Not trying to over do, just want to maximize my handling. This car will never see bad roads when finished LOL If I was going to over do it I would of spent 15k on a aftermarket chassis !! At that point it is no longer an El Camino. Thinking about a 6 point after talking to Marc from SC&C, low side bars, window height hoop, tying in to the rear suspension. I would of rather built a GTM if I went that far!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you want to maximize the handling drop the engine and move it back. The engine sits too high and the back to front weight bias is terrible in these cars. You can also help the narrow front track width by using Nova's lowers and use a center link from an 85 Iroc Z that will help with bump steer.

rwolf15241

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
Thanks, It looks like 1 5/8 tubing running front to back, 4 inches spacing from the factory frame !1

I will be using Dingo adjustable engine mts

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Why not just build a tubular chassis and connect it to the front clip. Then you can design the rear to use a 3 link set up and truck arms

rwolf15241

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
libowtie, I'm confused are your pics of different cars??? I see round and square tubing on those frame pics??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor