G body frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Well if anyone has a frame that will work for my 1985 Cutlass Supreme in or around AZ let me know! Please and thx u!

Monte Cristo

Apprentice
Aug 10, 2015
I have seen photos and posts here about painting the frames black. Cars from the 80's came galvanized, but weren't painted. So why paint them black? I am thinking about treating my '83 Monte with POR-15. I don't know what color to use to be the closest to the original galvanized look, the clear or the gray.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I have seen photos and posts here about painting the frames black. Cars from the 80's came galvanized, but weren't painted. So why paint them black? I am thinking about treating my '83 Monte with POR-15. I don't know what color to use to be the closest to the original galvanized look, the clear or the gray.

When new, the early A/G bodies had a THIN coat of chassis black on them. A good power wash of the engine bay would blast it off, even moreso after a few years.

There may have been galvanized frames in the 80's, but I can assure you that GM cars of that time were not galvanized

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Monte Cristo

Apprentice
Aug 10, 2015
Thanks. By the time I started tinkering under the hood, whatever black paint came with the cars was long gone from the Northeast winters. My '84 Merc had a galvanized frame, or something like it. Don't know if that came with black paint, but I doubt it since galvanized parts don't hold paint well.

Black POR-15 it is.

Were the back axle and the front suspension also painted black at the factory?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thanks. By the time I started tinkering under the hood, whatever black paint came with the cars was long gone from the Northeast winters. My '84 Merc had a galvanized frame, or something like it. Don't know if that came with black paint, but I doubt it since galvanized parts don't hold paint well.

Black POR-15 it is.

Were the back axle and the front suspension also painted black at the factory?
Chassis Cote Black is some great stuff!!! Even though the frame doesn't really see sunlight, make sure you get the one that's UV resistant or it will fade.

If you've never used it, clean everything as best as possible. For the best results, take the areas as close to bare metal as you can before spraying the metal prep.

A couple inspiration pics for ya. My whole frame, underside of body, engine bay, rearend, and more done with POR15.
20140112_120413.jpg
20140921_175635.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

StreetStock#72

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2017
Can I have that when your done ... LOL .. please. :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor