G body frames...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Ok I am toying with the idea of doing a full frame off with my Cutlass in the spring. I would be swapping frames for a fully wrapped and molded frame. I have a shop in AZ that wraps and molds frames so they just need powder coated or painted. Questions I have are:
*What G body frames are compatible with the 1985 Cutlass?
*Are there any G body frames other then the elco that will NOT work for my application?
*Anything I should look for as tell tale signs a frame is not right for my application?

I appreciate the knowledge and insight friends!

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
What is a "wrapped and molded" frame ??
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 2 users

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
What is a "wrapped and molded" frame ??
Guy
A wrapped and molded frame is what we in the lowrider world refer to as a frame that has been fully reinforced front to back (hence wrapped) and the molded refers to the welds being cleaned up to the point that the frame looks like it came that way. No chunks of metal exposed or welds exposed. They get powder coated and or painted then go back under a freshly painted underbelly. Ensures 100% solid frame for hopping and 3 wheeling vs just partial reinforcement. Couple pics snagged from the web.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,462
  • IMAG0086.jpg
    IMAG0086.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,823
Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I prefer "Boxed" and "Smoothed" :giggle:

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
A wrapped and molded frame is what we in the lowrider world refer to as a frame that has been fully reinforced front to back (hence wrapped) and the molded refers to the welds being cleaned up to the point that the frame looks like it came that way. No chunks of metal exposed or welds exposed. They get powder coated and or painted then go back under a freshly painted underbelly. Ensures 100% solid frame for hopping and 3 wheeling vs just partial reinforcement. Couple pics snagged from the web.

Thanks for the explanation !!
Guy

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I boxed mine and upgraded the factory welds and reinforced the suspention pick up points but didn't make it look pretty. My GP is a driver

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Aside from the obvious El Camino difference, you will also have to check rear-most body mount locations. The sedans and coupes interchange, the wagons have a different configuration related to spare tire well differences.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor