G Body interchangeable Front clips

Status
Not open for further replies.
“…….. what about puttin a monte front on a 4 dr cutlass?........”

“......Are all Gbody front clips interchangable even with different makes.......”

The general dimensions between 2dr G bodies are the same. The 4 doors are different from the 2 doors as the 4 door doors are shorter.

In other words (as far as I know), with the front fenders removed a 2 Monte Carlo door will fit the hole of say a Cutlass or a Grand Prix. Depending on the swap there will likely be modifications needed at the rear of the door to make body lines line up.

The bigger problem (depending on the swap is that the contours and shape at the front of the door often will not fit at all, either binding on the original front fenders or leaving a gap you could throw a fat X wife thru.

In other words what I’m getting at is that many of these swaps will have to include a door change in addition to a front clip change (or grafting 2 doors together to make the front shape and rear body lines match up.

Depending on the years and models of the vehicles involved there may be a requirement to extend the front frame horns about 3 inches.

I’m just finishing up a Monte Carlo/El Camino swap which should give you a general idea about what can be involve in some of these swaps.

833quarter.jpg

Bodylinechanges.jpg

Besides the body lines at the rear of the door that needed to be changed also look at the differences in shape at the front of the doors between the El Camino/Malibu and the Monte Carlo.

Also the early Monte Carlo front frame horns were longer requiring the frame horns to be extended on the El Camino.

Extendedframe.jpg

The body work to make it look right was pretty extensive........ as I farmed it out not real cheap either. Besides the body lines behind the door the body line behind the rear tire was completely eliminated.

832.jpg

I am very happy with the results, but as I found out these swaps can be quite a bit more involved than they initially appear to be.

outside83.jpg

Reactions: numbah1
Mike P said:
I am very happy with the results, but as I found out these swaps can be quite a bit more involved than they initially appear to be.

Agreed, I never finished this one but drove it for quite awhile....

caminoftcorner.jpg

I always thought this thing was hideous, but it's an Cutlass w/an Monte Carlo front clip. It was called the "Montecut". I haven't seen it in years. I think it died w/big lifts.

20353370003_large.jpg

montecut.jpg

20353370001_large.jpg

Old thread, but I did'nt want to start a new thread about this , I bet there are too many out there allready 😉
My 81 Cutlass Supreme is going under some custom work, and I was curious about fitting a Monte Carlo 84-87 SS plastic front. What do I need to do this? I know I need the hood. But I want to keep the Cutlass fenders, I dont want different wheel arches front to rear.. So do the Cutlass fenders line up with the Monte Carlo hood and nose (see pic)
1988_Monte_Carlo_SS_by_TheCarloos(demonstration).jpg

I may just have to modify the lower end of the Cutlass fender to make the plastic extension and marker light to fit.
Will I need the radiator core support, or just the braces that attaches the front nose? Are the steel bumper support behind the Monte Carlo nose the same as the Cutlass or will I also have to modify that?
I will also modify the rear bumper so it does'nt look weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor