G body modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Especially HVAC systems, seems like just about every G body either has the AC lines and compressor missing or the whole box gone and covered with the lame flat piece of tin.
GM did make a factory heat only box if you only want heat and there is aftermarket units if you don't want to use GM parts. Just looking on Craigslist and there is some on here that way, even though it is the owners preference, it looks half done to me and then expect top dollars when they go to sell.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
There are heat only modules for our cars. Seemed like most was ordered with A/C. Gotta look for the same model as you want to convert as the behind the dash parts are specific to each dash to include the glove box (smaller for non A/C.) There are the fiberglass conversion covers for making A/C modules under hood look like a non A/C. OPGI, Dixie Restoration, Summit has them. You have to cut the original to install.
opg-ch29175_ml.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
It seems like the heat only assembly's were a regional thing but people are either uninformed or just lazy about finding them. I personally have a couple of them.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When I removed my AC in my Monte mainly for clearance for the my BBC I went to the trouble to find a new factory heat only case and modified that for my needs, the flat ac cover plates to me always made the engine compartment look unfinished and then I see so many with ignition components mounted on it but they don't have any upper rain gutter piece to keep water from running straight down.

Reactions: 1 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Though I'm guilty of cutting mine up and making it a heat-only box, I'll say that I never liked the block-off plates either. They do start looking better though when you put things on them, or at least paint them the same color as the firewall.

Reactions: 1 user

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
When I removed my AC in my Monte mainly for clearance for the my BBC I went to the trouble to find a new factory heat only case and modified that for my needs, the flat ac cover plates to me always made the engine compartment look unfinished and then I see so many with ignition components mounted on it but they don't have any upper rain gutter piece to keep water from running straight down.
X2 if it has a purpose and looks like it should be there it's not so bad, I would rather see some thing bolted to it rather than just a wide open space. Possibly because I'm used to a cluttered engine bay with the entire space being used for something.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
If the block off panel is done right, along with the cowl extension piece it doesn't look bad IMO. Mine is removable in case I ever need to access anything behind it, or put hvac back in(probably won't).
20150531_145841.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
If the block off panel is done right, along with the cowl extension piece it doesn't look bad IMO. Mine is removable in case I ever need to access anything behind it, or put hvac back in(probably won't). View attachment 76468
That looks better than 99% of the jobs out there. Are you putting the inner fenders back in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor