20230121_173133.jpg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Even if anything is looked up in the '76-'81 Pontiac parts catalog shows the Grand Prix like that. I don't have a Fisher Body manual handy but I'm thinking that'll be the only source to list a Grand Prix as an A but under A-Special.
In 1980 is the Same, the pictures I posted are coming from the GM engineers.

I looked at some of the fisher body illustration/ blue prints if that's what there called for the Grand Prix this has nothing to do with Fisher Body manual see picture. I found nothing on them that has Abody but the engineers did call the Grand Prix a G body all three years 78, 79, 80 info that I have.
20230121_191144.jpg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
In 1980 is the Same, the pictures I posted are coming from the GM engineers.

I looked at some of the fisher body illustration/ blue prints if that's what there called for the Grand Prix this has nothing to do with Fisher Body manual see picture. I found nothing on them that has Abody but the engineers did call the Grand Prix a G body all three years 78, 79, 80 info that I have.
View attachment 214637
Does make one wonder why Only the Grand Prix was always listed as a G while being an A but the Monte Carlo did not nor when the addition of A-Special coupes. Not fully knowledgable on the 3rd gen A's to know if besides the Grand Prix & Monte Carlo did the Regal & any Cutlass model would of been classified as an A-Special during that run. Maybe it's something like how the RWD C & D bodies were the same but not the same.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Does make one wonder why Only the Grand Prix was always listed as a G while being an A but the Monte Carlo did not nor when the addition of A-Special coupes. Not fully knowledgable on the 3rd gen A's to know if besides the Grand Prix & Monte Carlo did the Regal & any Cutlass model would of been classified as an A-Special during that run. Maybe it's something like how the RWD C & D bodies were the same but not the same.
Just a thought, wondering if Pontiac wanted a mid size luxury car and they used the Grand Prix. If you compared the older A body's including the Monte the GP always had better trim or interior than the rest of them. I still think that the GP from 78-87 had best interior but I still love my oldsmobile.
Since I still had the 1980 binder in front of me I compared trim combinations and seat options between A body Buick, Chevy and Olds and G body Grand Prix.
The GP came on top with more better trim materials and textures and colors than the rest of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor