G-Body Parts Inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Oh CK, I am living in the exact same world. After 3 no shows you would not believe the satisfaction watching the metal recyclers crush this.
It's fun and interesting stories but the truth is I have had more successful sales and excellent transactions but the fails are easier to remember. There are alot of solid buyers out there.

Just like those caps 69 listed. If someone sat of those for 50 years, they are not giving them up for a couple hundred. Enjoy the prices of G body parts because they are no where near musclecar parts. G body stuff is a bargain compared to a 60's Corvette steering wheel or a hood for a Mopar.

Attachments

• 20201002_160914.jpg
    20201002_160914.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oh CK, I am living in the exact same world. After 3 no shows you would not believe the satisfaction watching the metal recyclers crush this.
It's fun and interesting stories but the truth is I have had more successful sales and excellent transactions but the fails are easier to remember. There are alot of solid buyers out there.

Just like those caps 69 listed. If someone sat of those for 50 years, they are not giving them up for a couple hundred. Enjoy the prices of G body parts because they are no where near musclecar parts. G body stuff is a bargain compared to a 60's Corvette steering wheel or a hood for a Mopar.
Oh, I understand the satisfaction. Sometimes one guy will come for a part and there's something else that has had a single guy keep changing the pickup date and making excuses over.

I often try to talk the new buyer into wanting it. Depending what the part is, sometimes I even give it away. Then I can almost see the virtual tears of the guy who's been jerking me around when I tell him, nope, it's gone. "What to do you mean gone???" "You kept screwing around for weeks and never made it out everything you gave me a date you wanted it. I gave it to someone else who came by." Then there's usually whining, sometimes complaining, blah blah blah. Sounds like music though.

But, one step beyond your pic at the yard, I've taken pics of the forks picking up and driving off with things I brought in before and sent them to the time wasters.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
I'm glad someone actually went through and calculated some of these price differences just to illustrate how out of hand prices have gotten. At the same time, I get insanely pissed off thinking about it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
It's great when you bust out a receipt from a few years back then look at the current price. Makes the price increase from when I bought the Holley 4175 to pre covid look like a deal compaired towhat it would cost now. Where you going to find a brand new Holley carb under $200 now?
You got that right... back in the mid 90s, i had a 1975 chevelle project car with a built 350cid bored .030 over, i bought a brand new holley 3310-2 for it, they went for $169, even the edelbrock performer intakes were $99, the performer rpm, around $160 or so, rediculous now, this super poly grip on greed has got to go.

Nov 4, 2012
BUT PEOPLE VOTED FOR THIS sh*t.... THAT'S THE POINT..SUFFER YOU CLOWNS
I didn't vote for it. I vote in every election I'm eligible to vote in and I don't think anyone I've voted for since 2016 has won an election. I didn't vote for a single one of my representatives, local, state or federal.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I didn't vote for it. I vote in every election I'm eligible to vote in and I don't think anyone I've voted for since 2016 has won an election. I didn't vote for a single one of my representatives, local, state or federal.
Then again, you work for a living.

If you were on the public dole, or, had some cronies kicking some inside 'inflation reduction' spending your way, your guys would be in charge.

Query: what would happen if, just if, the ones who didn't vote for or agree with those 'in power' just quit showing up to work for a month?

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
While it doesn't explain ALL the difference, we all remember what stuff used to cost, but forget what our wage then was. Mid 90s for me was about 35% of today's wage

But post-pandemic pricing is definitely off the rails in a lot of cases.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
While it doesn't explain ALL the difference, we all remember what stuff used to cost, but forget what our wage then was. Mid 90s for me was about 35% of today's wage

But post-pandemic pricing is definitely off the rails in a lot of cases.
Back in the 90s I could buy a gm headlight bezel or bumper filler for less than 2 hours wages. Fender? Maybe a bit less than a day worth of wages. Post tax.

Unless it was a holiday, Sunday, or OT. Then take 1/3 off those times.

To make the scenario fair, you've got to imagine being in the same job, same experience level NOW as THEN and compare those two wages.

Even if we went with aftermarket garbage instead of gm quality, it's not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor