G body pro touring El Camino coming along

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
I have been working on my El Camino for about 18 months and finally getting it pulled together. Hope to have it ready shortly after he first of the year. Here is pic of the finished firewall and then the motor - trans install.

Attachments

• firewall pic.JPEG
    firewall pic.JPEG
    3.3 MB · Views: 218
  • motor install.JPEG
    motor install.JPEG
    1.7 MB · Views: 223
Reactions: 7 users

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
Sweet ride! What are the deets on engine, trans and drivetrain?
Forged 6.2, PRC ported heads, TSP stage 3 cam, hi ram, NW 102, etc etc driving a built 6l80 with 3200 yank converter. Quick engineering 9” with tru trac & 370’s

Attachments

• 5FB1EF43-737D-4D07-A03E-0394179EEED3.jpeg
    5FB1EF43-737D-4D07-A03E-0394179EEED3.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 183
Reactions: 7 users

CM1SCW

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2020
Lenoir City,TN
Ace do you have any tips for this swap. I am doing the the same ls3/ 6l80 swap into a 87 monte carlo SS aerocoupe. Any tips and parts greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200731_084940.jpg
    20200731_084940.jpg
    728.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 20200926_100321.jpg
    20200926_100321.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 169
Reactions: 2 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
OP, three words....."Jeep Steering Shaft".........not only works, but cleans up the engine bay nicely too.....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
Ace do you have any tips for this swap. I am doing the the same ls3/ 6l80 swap into a 87 monte carlo SS aerocoupe. Any tips and parts greatly appreciated.
The best thing I did on mine was buying the complete swap set up from muscle rods. Putting the LS3 in there is easy, but the 6L80 is another matter. I spent some time researching it and actually found my answer over on Malibu racing. Some of the guys were bolting them right in and some of them were beating them up trying to get it to fit. Turns out the guys using the muscle rods (I am sure there are others that work but this is the one I am familiar with) parts were bolting them right up and it all fit. I bought the oil pan, long tube headers and the engine and trans mounts from them and it all dropped in perfectly.

Figure out where you are going to shift it from. If your going to shift it from the column you are going to have to do a bunch of fab work for the linkage to all work or figure out a link-cable hybrid of some sort. If your going to put in a floor shifter put the motor and trans in so you can mock it up. You will have to cut the hole and build out the mount. There is not much room in there for the linkage so it has to be lined up well. Figure out what you are going to do with your AC early on. The muscle rods kit will let you keep the stock set up but it sure looks ugly with that pretty motor in there. You can get a plate from about anyone to block off the firewall but it takes some fab work to add the vintage air system if you go that route. You can modify the block off plate (go look at the ones on Arizona grand national (AGN)) or buy a complete set up from AGN but its pretty expensive. I am modding out a firewall plate and doing the vintage air myself. I live about 30 minutes from vintage air so getting someone to help has been easy for me.

I had PSI build my harness to put that exact motor and trans in the G body. I haven't put it in yet but looking at everything its pretty close to plug and play. Figure out your driveshaft. I think I am going to use the two piece one that came out of the wrecked Camaro donor car I bought for the drivetrain and misc. parts. You can get a radiator with both the inlet and the outlet (and steam line) on the right side and it will make the hoses much shorter and they will look much better. You already relocated the AC compressor with your drive set up so that's good. Think about the fuel system. You can use a tank from a 4.3 (it was fuel injected and has the "well" for the fuel pump to set in) and buy a pump set up that will drop right in it. Corvette filter will work as a regulator and fix the extra line too.

Hope this helps you, let me know if there is anything specific I may be able to answer or help with. Lots of moving pieces for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

CM1SCW

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2020
Lenoir City,TN
The best thing I did on mine was buying the complete swap set up from muscle rods. Putting the LS3 in there is easy, but the 6L80 is another matter. I spent some time researching it and actually found my answer over on Malibu racing. Some of the guys were bolting them right in and some of them were beating them up trying to get it to fit. Turns out the guys using the muscle rods (I am sure there are others that work but this is the one I am familiar with) parts were bolting them right up and it all fit. I bought the oil pan, long tube headers and the engine and trans mounts from them and it all dropped in perfectly.

Figure out where you are going to shift it from. If your going to shift it from the column you are going to have to do a bunch of fab work for the linkage to all work or figure out a link-cable hybrid of some sort. If your going to put in a floor shifter put the motor and trans in so you can mock it up. You will have to cut the hole and build out the mount. There is not much room in there for the linkage so it has to be lined up well. Figure out what you are going to do with your AC early on. The muscle rods kit will let you keep the stock set up but it sure looks ugly with that pretty motor in there. You can get a plate from about anyone to block off the firewall but it takes some fab work to add the vintage air system if you go that route. You can modify the block off plate (go look at the ones on Arizona grand national (AGN)) or buy a complete set up from AGN but its pretty expensive. I am modding out a firewall plate and doing the vintage air myself. I live about 30 minutes from vintage air so getting someone to help has been easy for me.

I had PSI build my harness to put that exact motor and trans in the G body. I haven't put it in yet but looking at everything its pretty close to plug and play. Figure out your driveshaft. I think I am going to use the two piece one that came out of the wrecked Camaro donor car I bought for the drivetrain and misc. parts. You can get a radiator with both the inlet and the outlet (and steam line) on the right side and it will make the hoses much shorter and they will look much better. You already relocated the AC compressor with your drive set up so that's good. Think about the fuel system. You can use a tank from a 4.3 (it was fuel injected and has the "well" for the fuel pump to set in) and buy a pump set up that will drop right in it. Corvette filter will work as a regulator and fix the extra line too.

Hope this helps you, let me know if there is anything specific I may be able to answer or help with. Lots of moving pieces for sure.
Thanks for the info. I got proform thin radiator fan combo and aeromotive stealth tank and fuel lines. i'll look at muscle rods set set up,again thanks and if i have anything else i'll ask

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor